DOS with Windows XP
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DOS with Windows XP

DOS with Windows XP

I am aware that windows xp only has a partially functioning version of the DOS operating system. Where can I get a copy of the whole system and how do I install this alongside XP. Any help would be appreciated.

Windows XP and the other windows which use the NT structure do not boot into DOS and then load up windows like 95 and 98 used to. But the command propmt (cmd.exe) in XP is fully fuctional. These days i cant think of any reason you`d want to install DOS on a seperate partion. But if you have some need for it i`ll give you the links to FreeDOS and explain how to install it along side XP if your not sure on how to partion your drive.
    Mark

What are you trying to do that you need a full version of dos?
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Like homenet said I believe cmd.exe is fully funtional... installing on the same partion is not possible (to my knowledge) because winxp is not a fake os like the former versions which simply ran "on top" of DOS. You could install it on a separate partion, but I think you shouldn't have any problems with cmd.exe if you really look into it.

I don't see how simple DOS can be of more use to you than cmd.exe.
    Cmd.exe is better than command.com because it is easier to use, it has more commands, and you can for example repeat a command by using the up arrow until you get to the desired command.

Also, Win XP comes with both the command.com (the older DOS) and with cmd.exe. The reason is that some proggies that may not work with cmd have command to be run with.

Banned
    Actually the version of DOS installed on XP is not the full version of DOS it does not have all of the comands that the full version of DOS has. And to get the full version you have to download it from a website like www.download.com then, copy it to a flopy, then you will have to install it before you install a operating system. So if you wan't the full version download it delete you're old OS then install the newest DOS before you Install you're new OS and it SHOULD default to the newest version of DOS and not eaven install the XP version.

Windows XP install will actually overwrite any os, whether it be DOS or anything else, when it installs.

Like mentioned before XP doesn't use DOS.
    There isn't DOS in XP. Just cmd.exe, which is a command line.

I dont think XP will overwrite anything unless you want it to, but there are some problems here. DOS is a 16-bit OS and will need a FAT16 partition, while you can put XP and DOS on a FAT16 Partition (Why God?) and use a boot manager, I cant say why anyone would want to. You will of course be limted to 64K clusters with a grand total of 2GB (Windows will recognize 4GB but DOS will not) for your Windows XP and DOS which may leave you with enough room for Leisure Suit Larry I.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

It is not MS DOS , it is a DOS-like interface that allow users to perform some command line fucntions

Sorry, I meant it will overwrite anything on the partition you install it on if you do a fresh install, ie. not and upgrade.