Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cornell University and University of Virginia vs RedHat

Originally posted here by .: Shrekkie :.
    LMAO , Rise from the dead ... I like that ...

/me blames thread_killer for giving the gentoonitis-virus

It'll have to after I kill it. And Gentoo still aint got **** on Geeko. SuSE and Debian are the true kings of Linux.

Oddly shrekkie and I are friends. with the Zealot Linux wars we get into most people prolly find that shocking. He left SuSE for gentoo, and....Well Gentoo is still just Linux with a BSD mask on too me.

Kwiep
    Linux freaks often don't like coorporate stuff, but them developers need to eat and you can't earn money from linux freaks with way to much bandwith on their hands. The newbies won't install gentoo (because they're to lazy to read the ****ing manual), and will install fedora or whatever that is like windows... so who gives a ****... newbies with windows linux >> happy... freaks download gentoo >> happy... red hat dev people earn money >> happy... corporate people have a nice good supported operating system with a good name (redhat cert anyone?) >> happy

In the end all linux is just the kernel with whatever the producers had in mind, so if you don't like it, build one yourself. I don't like Mandrake (goat drool) Talking about corporate: 'suse bought by novell' 'suse doesn't offer iso's for download, you have to buy it or install it by ftp'. Everyone likes slackware, so it's not special enough for the die-hard. Gentoo is nice because all the people think it's hard (showoff) and it has it's portage system wich gives it a little bsd feeling altough it still keeps the home-user feeling bsd has a bit less. Talking about anything revolutionary... nah... You can install the emerge system on any distro if you want, but if you ask me, all famous distro's are pretty much alike except for the 'colours'. They all want to be either user-friendly (windows) or die-hard. If I start looking for something I don't et by default when I do an LFS install, I think knoppix got something new (sorta) with a full gui bootable os with everything you need on a desktop. Then there is gobolinux who tries to change the weird /bin /etc hierarchy:
    GoboLinux is a Linux distribution that breaks with the historical Unix directory hierarchy. Basically, this means that there are no directories such as /usr and /etc. The main idea of the alternative hierarchy is to store all files belonging to an application in its own separate subtree; therefore we have directories such as /Programs/GCC/2.95.3/lib. To allow the system to find these files, they are logically grouped in directories such as /System/Links/Executables, which, you guessed it, contains symbolic links to all executable files inside the Programs hierarchy. To maintain backwards compatibility with traditional Unix/Linux apps, there are symbolic links that mimic the Unix tree, such as "/usr/bin -> /System/Links/Executables", and "/sbin -> /System/Links/Executables" (this example shows that arbitrary differentiations between files of the same category were also removed).
    Those 'new' things make a linux distro a bit more interesting. 'Linux distro's' are overrated imo. I have a pile of 40 different distro's next to my computer and they all "strive to make the switch from windows to linux easier... have better hardware support... are userfriendly... contain everything you need in every situation... are userfriendly... have x windows... have a pinguin logo".
    And by now I forgot what my point was, so I quit here.
    Double Dutch

I'ts really too bad that RH is taking the 800_pound_gorilla legal path with the company. Worse is
    the bad image that unfairly reflects back upon Linux as a whole due to miscreants like SCO and
    now RH. I recently watched 'Revolution OS' again; funny how much of what was in that film is
    completely different now.

We have a number of customers who are going back to Sun. The preception amoung the
    suits (who control all the money) is that Linux has become politically unstable and is heading
    for meltdown, with no post-conflict winners. The end result, sad to say, is that we have been called
    up to replace a lot of RH servers with Sun lately. Whatever gains Linux has made over UNIX™
    are looking like they may not be permanent.

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, there are many other Distro's out there, but it seems RedHat is pretty much "leading the pack" so to speak, some distro's will no doubt follow RedHat's path, but some, will continue to stay the way Linux was made, free, stable, flexable, and great. Hopefully SuSE doesn't follow RedHat as much...

MB

Who cares? As long as it's *NIX and not made by SCO it's fine with me. I'll run any *NIX I can. All I have access too right now is BSD and Linux and a few people have offered Solaris, which is the ****, but there all *NIX. Thats what counts too me.

Personally I think AT%T should have kept UNIX. Or Ken T should kept it...But being AT&T he prolly had to sign a contract when he was hired saying whatever he invented belonged to the company.

I got it!!!!!!! I have a solution!!!!! Give ALL of the rights to UNIX to Jello Biafra!! He wont put up with none of that corporate bullshit.

Banned
    im sure we can all read slashdot

Originally posted here by gore
    Who cares? As long as it's *NIX and not made by SCO it's fine with me. I'll run any *NIX I can. All I have access too right now is BSD and Linux and a few people have offered Solaris, which is the ****, but there all *NIX. Thats what counts too me.

Personally I think AT%T should have kept UNIX. Or Ken T should kept it...But being AT&T he prolly had to sign a contract when he was hired saying whatever he invented belonged to the company.

I got it!!!!!!! I have a solution!!!!! Give ALL of the rights to UNIX to Jello Biafra!! He wont put up with none of that corporate bullshit.
    Agreed. All Unix and UNIX™ OS's rock, some just rock more than others.

btw, If you like Solaris, I think you would really dig HP-UX. HP Unix hardware is totally awesome
    and just a little faster than Sun imho. The graphics options are totally sweet. If you want to
    check out a _very_ nice but older machine running HP-UX, pick up an HP C3000 on ebay, they
    usually go for around $400 USD, but are worth every penny.

-- spurious
    Get OpenSolaris http://www.opensolaris.org/

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Well ,

We have a HP-UX server at work. But If the management platform on top of it didn't need exclusively the HPUX, I would have installed another on it already.

Anyway HPUX and its hardware do have a good performance yes.

Luckely in *NIX we all can choose what we like. In Windows we have to choose what we don't like.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby