Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spybot S&D

Question Spybot S&D

I've heard great and wonderful things abotu Spybot Search and Destroy, and once upon a time I was one of those people saying such things. But now I have a major problem with it, and was wandering if you guys could throw some advice at me.

For some reason, as of recently I can no longer get Spybot to work right -- on ANY computer. I've had it loaded on both my home computer and several comptuers at the office, and in the beginning it worked great on all of them. However, a problem occured on each machine eventually. Now, when I open the program, the tab appears at the bottom but the window for the program never opens. I can sit there and click at it all day and it will never maximize. This happened on every machine I've used it on! I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program, but it simply refuses to work.

Have any of you had this happen to you? Any clues as to this rather puzzling problem?

Spybot keeps the config files on your drive even after it has been uninstalled. I would try to do a complete deletion of Spybot and then reinstall from here:http://www.safer-networking.org/inde...&page=download

How to uninstall?
    Version 1.1 as well as version 1.2 will uninstall from the Windows Add/Remove Software control panel without problems. But if you have updated from 1.1 to 1.2, the different uninstall code may cause some problems (which will be fixed in 1.2.1).

If you just want a fresh install, I recommend that you just install over the current version. If you want to complete get rid of Spybot-S&D 1.2 and the Add/Remove doesn't help, you can delete the installation folder (usually C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy 1.1\), then download this very small fix and execute it (it will remove all remains from the registry).

Also, neither the automated uninstall nor the manual uninstall like described above will remove the following directories, which you will have to remove by hand:

* Windows 95 or 98: C:\Windows\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows ME: C:\Windows\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\
    * Windows NT, 2000 or XP: C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Spybot - Search & Destroy\

Explanation: this folder contains the backup (the quarantined files) that Spybot-S&D creates. If the Uninstall would remove this folder as well, this would mean that those backups would be gone. We saw it a few times that new users uninstalled Spybot-S&D in panic after they've experienced a small problem, thus removing the backup that would have undone any changes.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Ive had this same problem before. But I was using a old version of spybot.Tell me somthing does your spybot have the gold coins by the on the left bar? If not you are using a buggy version of spybot.
    Sometime spy bot gets a little buggy even with the new versions,but do what CXGJarrod said.
    Ive been using the one from the downloads.com mirror. Its been up and flawless for about six months now.

Thanks guys, I think that fixed my problem!

N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Wheeee.. moved.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

lol, nice of you MsMittens to move the thread and make it seem like people are actually using the new forum. :-p

Angelic: It happened to me before, so I thank you for asking the question. Now, through help of this thread, I've successfully deleted all of the crap off.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    I moved it here because it seemed appropriate to be here..
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

A fine move indeed. Almost makes me want to post a spyware thread in *nix security just so we can see it again. (j/k)
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Thanks guys i had the same problem.