Thread: Wireless Auditing. Need assistance please.

Wireless Auditing. Need assistance please.

Thanks in advance for your knowledgable responses.

I recently purchased an Ipaq handheld computer (PDA). I added an 802.11b wifi card to it so I can do some auditing.

I haven't installed Linux on it as yet to use kismet, so it has the default OS, Pocket 2003. What I'd like to find out, is with the default OS, is there a tool that I can use to decrypt an ESSID. I already have tools to alert me to a wifi hotspot, with Mac, channel and type of connection. What I need is to decrypt an ESSID (encypted SSID). A tools similar to wepcrack, but for Pocket 2003.

Thanks again for your assistance.

--PuRe www.pureescape.net
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Ummm....
    Why would you need to decrypt it? If it is an open wireless connection for your use then I would think it would not be encrypted in the first place. Perhaps an explanation is in order?
    ~Amorphous~

Are you sure you actually want to try to crack WEP on a PocketPC? Seems to me you'd actually want to just capture data on the handheld, then crack it offline on a real computer.

Regardless of your intentions, using a Pocket PC to capture/crack wep traffic would kick a**. Good luck

But as far as I know, their is nothing available, but I'm sure I'm wrong.

AFAIK ESSID is extended service set id not encrypted, if you mean you want to find SSID's that are not broadcast (and I think this is what you mean) then Kismet is what you need, I cant promise theres not a Win program(I would imagine SOMEWHERE theres one) for this but I work with wireless quite a bit and have used many wireless suites and was unable to find anything other than Kismet which finds these. (Assuming you have a wireless card with the right chipset)

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Originally posted here by amorphous
    Ummm....
    Why would you need to decrypt it? If it is an open wireless connection for your use then I would think it would not be encrypted in the first place. Perhaps an explanation is in order?
    I don't need to explain anything to you, you either be useful and answer the question, or you don't. If you can't answer the question at hand, your wasting space here. Re-read the question if you want to find out my intention.

--PuRe
    Like this post? Visit PuRe\'s Information Technology Community. We\'ve also got some kick ass Technology Forums. Shop for books and dvds on LiveWebShop.com

Sorry......Denied

I'm sorry, but there is nothing out there.............if you are the uber hacker, you could convert airsnort to work on the PocketPC, but nope, there is nothing out there....

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    DON'T try to crack WEP keys on a handheld, that is, unless you have tons of time (like a few days at least) to stand outside a building while airsnort runs (or any other tool of the like). The amount of traffic needed to actually build the keys is very large.

If you want to audit the WAPs, just throw MiniStumbler on the handheld. That is what I use and it works very well with an Orinoco card and antenna kit. I know that it doesn't decrypt a damn thing but none the less, you may have some issues doing what you have proposed.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden