Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: software pusher and networking issues

Thumbs up software pusher and networking issues

Hello everyone.
    I am a network tech for about 60 computers and I being hounded but a higher authority to patch all of these computers on my network and they want me to go to every computer and update them individualy UMMMMMMM No. I don't think so. I am looking for a program that will push software through and IP range so I can install all of these patches on everyones computer. all at once.

The next question is at work, we have a broadband ISP provided for our work. At home I have a commercial broad band ISP I have the DNS's WINS Gateway and an IP range. Basicly I am trying to go from PC>ISP commercial>INTERNET>ISP work>WORKGROUP>WORK COMPUTER. Can anyone help me on either???

Thanks fella's
    Through the NIC, Past the HUB around the Router, Nothing but net!

Kain420

what OS are u running in those machines ? ? Windows ? ?

Give more info Plz

windows 2000 and XP

Kain420

what type ofconnection a T1 or what, give more details

1. SUS, follow the link below and you can set up a System Update Server that will push updates out to all you Windows boxes. The software doesn't cost anything but you will need a box to push it out from.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

2. What kind of relationship do you have with your ISP. The company I work for outsources it's ISP and firewall/security. If anyone has a valid need to have high speed remote access then a request to our ISP is made, all the proper paperwork is filled out, and a client VPN connection is established. VPN software is installed and configured by the user with the assistance of the ISP staff. Since you are wanting to go from your home PC to your work it sounds like you may want to start with your company's ISP.

Hope this helps
    Good luck

Edit: That should read System Update Services server

AO French Antique News Whore
    Like Cheif said (And he got greenie for it), SUS Server is the best solution for you! It's free!

For your other question, a double hardware firewall doing VPN is the best solution!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

SUS is a pull option for deploying Windows updates. Basically it allows you to host your own copy of the Windows update site on your local network and approve what updates to be installed. You will still need to visit every computer to configure it (unless you are using group policies in AD). It will only work for patches for Windows 2000, XP and 2003. I know that Symantics Ghost has some push options on the enterprise edition that you might want to look at.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Quick word of warning on SUS.

You need 6Gb of diskspace available to the server and a high speed connection to the internet - and I mean high - the SUS _synchronizes_ itself with M$' autoupdate server. That's a lot of downloading to have it do. Once done it will all be fine but it's that initial wait while everything d/l's that is a real pain.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Thanks for the info guys I appreciate it. I am a network tech for a military unit. I am a soldier so I was dropped into this boat with only 3 months training and what I learned from the school of hard knocks. I am trying to get into school for it but Afganistan continues to be an issue. I am kind of limited on my allowed programs to use but I will see if I can get authorization. You mentioned SUS is free, but just from what you guys know, do you forsee any licensing conflicts with use on goverment machines?

Kain420

One thing I forgot to mention, If this is basiclly a windows update host program will it only work with windows updates or does it have the option to add extra programs also? Being that the computers I work with are all goverment, I have to apply more patches to peoples computers that windows updates. I know these questions are really broad but I'm still learning. I am not allowed to learn new ways to make the military more efficient. But come hell or highwater I will make things at my work more efficient.

Thanks for the help.

Kain420