Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Firewall Decision

Firewall Decision

Can anyone make a recommendation--
    I'm looking to buy either a Webramp 700s, cheapest, discontinued.
    or a Symantec Firewall 100R, not discontinued.

I am just looking to get something in place to block and filter ports.

If these are the only two options your willing to look at, then I would have to say the Symantec Firewall, why? It's not discontinued. There are other options to look at, one that many of the members here have spoke of in the past is Sonicwall. Now I have never used this product, but I am sure someone here can give you their thoughts on it.

Cheers:
    DjM

Use both

Elite Hacker
    If you are going to buy one I would go with McAfee's pro version. It won the screensavers roundup I think against norton, zonealarm pro, and two others. If you want free I recommend Sygate.

Use both
    Using 2 firewalls would just be a waste of system resources. Although probably ment as a joke, freesource might follow that advice

I am just looking to get something in place to block and filter ports.
    If that's the case you shouldn't buy a firewall, that would be a waste of money if it's just to protect your home pc. (You only buy firewalls for your homepc if you're some paranoic freak, if that's the case: see h3r3tic's and DjM's posts)
    Sygate seems to be well appreciated, never used it though. Outpost does its job also good...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Sonicwall rules

www.sonicwall.com

Originally posted here by h3r3tic
    If you are going to buy one I would go with McAfee's pro version. It won the screensavers roundup I think against norton, zonealarm pro, and two others. If you want free I recommend Sygate.
    h3r3tic, for what this guy is doing (check this thread), I would not recommend a software firewall. For what he is doing, or attempting to do, a hardware firewall is the way to go.

Cheers:
    DjM

I've got 3 servers, one for web hosting, one for db hosting, one for email.
    As of now, I only have 4 clients and all are friends. so nothing special
    I am looking for a hardware firewall, but I do not have the budget for a nice appliance firewall.
    That is why I suggested the Webramp, which runs on the SonicWall OS, but is discontinued and no longer supported, but at $149 a steal.
    The symantec 100 and the webramp were the only ones I could find for under $300--
    both offer unlimited user licenses.

Originally posted here by freesource
    I've got 3 servers, one for web hosting, one for db hosting, one for email.
    As of now, I only have 4 clients and all are friends. so nothing special
    I am looking for a hardware firewall, but I do not have the budget for a nice appliance firewall.
    That is why I suggested the Webramp, which runs on the SonicWall OS, but is discontinued and no longer supported, but at $149 a steal.
    The symantec 100 and the webramp were the only ones I could find for under $300--
    both offer unlimited user licenses.
    Well, for likely a small chunk of change, you could pick up an old computer, install *inux and set it up as your firewall, running ipchains/iptables. If you do not have any experience with *inux & ipchains and iptables, there are a lot of people on this site that do, and I am sure they can give you a lot of tips on how to set it up and configure it.

This may give you some ideas

Cheers:
    DjM

Well sonicwall is hardware and there is nothing wrong with running a software firewall on the PC itself. I disagree that running a firewall on a home system is only for paranoid freaks. If you see what some of the idiots do on cable modems, you would whistle a different tune.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563