Thread: key logger

key logger

i need help. my hose is networked, but you have to sign in with a username and password. my older brother is more expierencedwith coputers than i am, and i think he hacked my acount. iwould change my password but where is the fun in that, i want to learn something. i have heard of key loggers that record every thing you type. there are two types. a pluggin that connects to the keyboard and of course software. the problem is i want the pluggin but it is to expensive, is there a way to make my own. also if i install the software on his computer would it still work even though it is networked.

Hi,

If your older brother has administrator rights on the network, then he does not need to "hack" you? He is Administrator.

A keylogger will only tell you what is happening on your machine, that might be absolutely nothing.

Change your password and scan for spyware and malware in safe mode. Spybot Search & Destroy and AdAware are quite useful. It might NOT be your brother? the "usual suspects" aren't always guilty

How do you know you haven't already got a keylogger?

http://www.styopkin.com

Try "Keylogger Hunter"

Just a few thoughts

Cheers

the only people with admistrive rights in our home is my parents. i wasn't planning on istalling a key logger on my computer but rather on my brothers . plus noone else has acces to my computer i always keep the door locked with a deadbolt and exit out of the window.

A few thoughts:

1. If you don't have admin rights you will have trouble loading anything? (You don't say what OS you have)
    2. If you go out through the window, what's to stop someone getting in through the window?
    3. What makes you think that your account has been hacked?
    4. You should check for malware anyway.......half the fun is finding out how it was done, or if?
    5. Make sure that your parents' machines are also checked for keyloggers and spyware
    6. Ask your parents to change their admin password
    7. Change your password
    8. It could be that your bro. has hacked the admin password?
    9. Maybe your parents left one of their machines logged in as admin and your bro. found it? It would only take a few seconds to find your logon details or load a keylogger.
    10. Disconnect your machine from the network when you are not using it.

In my experience keyloggers are not the easiest software to use.....they generate such a mass of data We only use them if other monitoring software suggests that we have a specific problem. Anyway, what would you hope to find?

Cheers

thnx