Thread: Sendmail Question

Sendmail Question

I think I got this in the right section, but I'm not sure, so I would like to apologize in advance if you feel that this thread was categorized wrong.

Onto my question. In a few of the computer manuals I have read, there is a section about sending "forged" emails. I have a friend that I go to school with who is really into C programming but has been becoming more interested in network security lately. I loaned him one of my manuals "Hacking Exposed, 4th ed." and he came on MSN later that night asking me how to send forged e-mails. He said he couldn't figure it out, but the book told him about it.

I asked him what his problem was, and he said that he couldnt see a command line for the mail server. Apparently it was still the normal one for his C: drive. He is running on Windows XP. I asked him if he was using the GUI version of telnet or the command line version, and he said the command line one.

So I thought he needed to enable local echo. I wasnt sure how to do that on the command line telnet verion (the one that you use at the command prompt), so I told him to switch to the GUI version of telnet. Come to find out, that the GUI telnet isnt on his computer for some reason.

So I think he needs to enable the local echo from the command line. Is there anyone who knows how to do this? Also, is there anyone who knows what else could be wrong here?

I know this sounds noobish, but I honestly have no idea what is wrong here and have never encountered this problem.

EDIT: Sorry, but it seems the situation has changed a bit. He is somewhat blind, I suppose because the GUI telnet is there after all. He is able to enable the local echo, but is the odd part. He is telling me that once he enables local echo, it turns itself off. Maybe he is just trying to fry my brain, but I'm searching Google, and looking, but I can't figure this out! Help me please!

Banned
    go to command prompt, type in telnet to start telnet, type in "set localecho"(without quations marks) and it should be turned on.

you should get osmething like this Local echo on in the telnet window.

You need to telnet to the IP of the desired SMTP server, provide the proper authorization, then you can enter the commands.

Under WinXP, the command is "set localecho".
    Under Win2000, the command is "set local_echo".

I don't know why they changed it. This must be entered from the telnet prompt.

If you're unsure, "set ?" should give you a list of set commands and therefore the answer to your question. It'll give you a whole bunch of other useful commands to, as will "?" at the telnet prompt.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Thanks to rapier57 and striek for their help with explaining both to myself and my friend how to set local echo using the command line. I guessed I skipped that line or was too tired when I read in a manual. Anyway, big thanks.

My friend sent himself an email from George W. Bush, and I think he figured out how sendmail works pretty well... I know I learned a thing or two trying to help him out.

The book may have addressed this, but the most important thing to remember about fake emails is that they can be traced. Regardless of what the address shows, the email can still be traced through IP information. Plus, if you choose to send it from a remote server, most newbies do not realize that the relay option on the SMTP server has to be set. Most are not.

BTW:

I once sent my ex GF's mother an email from the president. She's still convinced that I "hacked" the white house... I don't plan on ever telling her the truth, she finally started to respect me...
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I realize all that, but I think that he was just experimenting and not looking for a "perfect forge" thats untraceable. I think he was looking for something to pass the time last night because he was bored. I think he sent an email to his girlfriend last night too...

Originally posted here by D0pp139an93r

I once sent my ex GF's mother an email from the president. She's still convinced that I "hacked" the white house... I don't plan on ever telling her the truth, she finally started to respect me...
    Abd that really did make me laugh. Maybe its my lack of sleep, maybe it really is funny, but I seriously did laugh. Thanks man.