Hard Drive loses power
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard Drive loses power

Hard Drive loses power

Seems the power supply to my primary hard drive is just a little too small on the HD end. Every once in a while the HD loses power and my comp freezes. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to tighten this up without replacing any hardware? This is annoying as ****.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    If the power supply providing juice to the HD is having a problem, you can diagnose that by putting a multi-meter on the HD end of the power connector. If you get 12-13 volts DC, and it stays constant, the power supply is fine. If it changes or goes below 12 volts, then you need to replace your power supply. This, of course, assumes that your HD requires a 12-volt input. My current level of exposure to some of the new equipment is somewhat limited. Check the labels, anyway, and they will provide the required power levels. Test for that.

If the power supply is faulty, it should be replaced as soon as possible. The problem described could cause damage to your hard drive (and other parts).

The problem is that the power connector physically dosconnects itself from the HD. I'm hoping to fix the problem without taking the whole box apart and putting in a new pwer wupply. I tested the leads from the PS and they're fine - 12V and 5V within specs. It's just that it's a little loose, and sometimes if I kick the box by accident (it's on the floor by my left foot), it goes loose and freezes the comp.

The HD has a sensor on it that detects a power loss and a spring retracts and parks the heads automatically (ahoy to Western Digital!), then automatically puts the brakes on the platter. I've even taken one apart so I know the failsafe spring will work when the power goes out to the HD.

All I need is some way to keep the plug in the socket without it falling out.

I know this may sound crude, but what about duct tape or electrical tap to secure the power connector to the HD??
    =

Banned
    Wow! One of those funky power plugs is _loose_ in the harddrive power socket??? Dang, I wish I could see that! I've been fighting those nasty buggers for years and this is the first time I've ever heard of one being loose! Will wonders never cease?

No wonder I was thinking a different direction, sorry. Got access to a dead power supply? Does it have a plug that is tighter in you HD connection point? Cut it off. Cut off the loose one on your power supply. Solder the leads of the good one to the leads to your PS. Put lots of insulating tape around the joins. This works. I've done it when one of those nasty connectors broke.

Another common problem is that not enough power is getting to the drive. People plug in fans and other junk in on the same string of power as the hard drive and sometimes this sucks too much power from the drive.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Striek

power connector physically dosconnects itself from the HD
    The cheapest way to get over this problem is to get a extension cable for your power supply.They also sell power splitter cables.

Dr-Evil

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by cheyenne1212
    I know this may sound crude, but what about duct tape or electrical tap to secure the power connector to the HD??
    Thats a halfway good call chey.....I say halfway because you mentioned DUCT tape. That wonderful sticky stuff may be good enough for NASCAR, but keep it away from the electrical components and wiring of your computer. It could be just conductive enough to screw you so stick with the black stuff that was designed to handle the juice.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I think the electrical tape idea thingy might work. I thought it would be a rather crazy idea, but hearing it from someone else tells me that at least I'm not the only crazy guy who thought of it.

Yeah I would suggest black electrical tape instead of duct tape, but maybe it will work
    =