fed up
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: fed up

Angry fed up

ok so i built this brand new comp last year for my friend, athlon xp1500, MSI kt333 mobo, 256 MB DDR pc2200 ram, geforce 2 mx440 64 mb ram, 20 gig western digital 7200 rpm HDD, brand new case with powersupply ect, the works, only things that werent new were the 3.5 floppy and creative 32x CD ROM.
    so i threw it all together, and i have tried in vein for the last year and a half to get some kind of operating sytem to install on it. i have installed windows 98, which will work, but then when i attempt to install drivers for the new hardware, windows always crashes, so i moved onto windows 2000, problem there is whenever i get it to boot from CD and begin installtion, i always get the "blue screen of death" constantly upon the beginning of the installation, so i moved onto windows XP, setup will begin and files will start to copy, but would constantly get blue screen errors, and i actually got it to install once without getting a blue screen error once, but then once i got into windows it kept crashing and eventually corrupted some of the system files and wouldn't ever start again, im so ****ing pissed off, i put all this time, money, and energy into this new system, and im baffled as to why it is doomed to failure, i have tried 3 different sticks of RAM ECC and non-ECC, i tried using my other computer to install winXP on the hardrive, then put it back into the new one, didn't work, kept crashing on start up, i have tried 2 different video cards, nothing seems to work, i have tried 3 differenct cd-rom drives, i have even tried a different hard drive, i even tried installing red hat linux, it would get half way through the installation and i would get an error saying "installatoin exited prematurely", so i am at my wits end, i have no clue why this peice of **** won't work, if anyone knows something i dont please enlighten me, i would be greatful
    -cheers

Ok, try this.

Leave in one cd-rom drive, one stick of ram, the HD and thats it. Oh yeah, you'll need the Video card. lol

So basically take out everything you don't need. Then see if it will install.
    =

Well the first thing that I can tell you is that if you load XP on another box then transfer the HDD it will not work. This is due to the XP copyright protection system.

Are these genuine Microsoft CDs you are using?

You might try loading Win98 onto the HDD on another machine, check that it works on that box then transfer it. Remember that the drivers are mostly in the "Win98" folder on the CD NOT "drivers"

If that does not work it could be anything. I would check that you have the right processor cooling fan (try the AMD website) and that the power supply is approved for AMD.

Could even be a MoBo problem? Dry joints or whatever?

Sounds like it could be heat related though (because you seem to get so far then crash), so maybe check the fans & airflow and try it with the case off............see if you get any further.

Keep us posted

Cheers

Have you checked your CMOS/BIOS settings? Boot Virus Protection disabled?

I had a problem loading 2000 . . . until I shutdown the computer between the different setup screens, in other words, instead of just letting the system reboot itself, I shut it down, waited a few minutes and then proceeded to the next setup sequence. For me it wasn't a hardware problem (cooling, etc.) just a weird glitch that I worked around. Once loaded, everything ran fine.

cheyenne1212 and nihil both make excellent points - so be sure to follow their advice.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

yes all the software i am using is legitamate, and authentic. i'll try those things you mentioned and see if it works, i will keep you posted.
    thanks

edit: yea i made sure i have proper cooling, cpu fan is more than sufficient to cool the xp 1500, plus i have 2 extra case fans and a 400 wat power supply, so power shouldn't be a problem, made sure it was AMD/P4 approed, i tried taking everything out that wasn't needed (the only thing i had to take out was my network card), still nothing changed. :/

thanks for the advice virtho but i can't even get the intallation to the point were it asks you to reboot for the first time, so its kinda out of the question.
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

i guess im gonna have to look into a new mobo
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

Alphaflux -
    I didn't want to bring up that nasty possibility, but you may have to go the new motherboard route. A friend of mine is now on his 3rd mobo for his AMD XP system and went through 4 mobos before getting one he could use for a Socket 7 system he had in the works. All were new boards . . . but ended up being lemons. Do you know anyone who has a motherboard you could borrow that will accomodate the new hardware? As a last resort, I try to swap everything out to cross test, before returning or trashing a motherboard.

Good luck to you.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

That sure is a strange problem alphaflux. I wish I know of more things that could help you.

From the way its looking, I'd say that you'd have to get a new motherboard. I've used Asus and Gigabyte motherboards with AMD Athon systems, and have had no problems with them.
    =

yea it looks like im probably gonna have to get a new mobo, well thanks for the help guys, i really appreciate your time, but i guess i just got unlucky and got defective hardware :/.
    anyway thanks again.

Banned
    at first it sounds like you have a memory problem but you say you've tried that..

just for grins and giggles try running docmemory and memtest86

docmemory
    http://www.utilitygeek.com/details.php?fileid=13
    memtest86
    http://www.memtest86.com/

now here's a thought/wild guess.. there are/were a bad batch of capacitors used on many motherboards over the past few years.. inspect all your caps for bulges or leaking.. most are located by the voltage regulators and there's usually one by your apg slot..

here's a good site run by a guy by the name of topcat, who specializes in replacing caps on bad mobo's.. http://www.badcaps.net you'll find a lot of good info there..