Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How fast do you download?

Mine shows 1.5 megabits. So, I'm supposed to download a megabyte in 10 seconds or something like that.

On cable.

On my 56k connection nihill, I get close to 6 sometimes. I'll hit 5.3-5.5KB on a download.
    =

47.2 Kilobytes/sec. Not bad for dial-up.

Although right now I have a brand new laptop, with almost no extraneous stuff to clog bandwith.

edit: Ok Cheyenne, Kilobits. I haven't slept in 3 days and I'm starting to get confused. I think I'm going to download some sleep tonight. at 47.2 kilobits/sec. lol.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I think you meant 47.2 Kilobits/sec

When we download, we measure in bytes. When we want to see our connection speed, its shown as bits, (makes it look bigger. lol)

So you would download at 4.7 Kilobytes.

just wanted to clear that up.
    =

speed

I get about 1.2mbits ps
    cable connection
    $30.00 a month

not to bad for Tucson
    why?

Here's mine, supposed to be a 2 megabit connection, but I don't see it all that often. Not complaining though:

Thats not bad at all.

As a matter of fact thats real good. lol
    =

Hehe, yeah, I gotta agree. Nothing to complain about there, FrameWork.

I'm doing better than the average for my area. I sometimes see speeds like 1.7 megabits, but this result is more the norm for me. My ISP advertises 1.5 Mbs, though.

I'm a bit of a speed freak, all my cables and phone wiores I custom cut to fit exactly where I needed them. The DSL modem is 2 feet from the demarcation point, and the patch cord to the router is 3 inches long. I rewired every phone jack in the house after getting DSL to cut down on extra wires. I think I ripped out about 200 feet of telephone wires that accumulated over the years and are no longer used.

That project was a learning project, too. It took like a week to do but it worked pretty well. I nearly doubled my speed by cleaning up the wiring mess.

I'm paying about $45 CDN for this, I thing that works out to between $30 and $35 American. Looks like I'm not getting too bad a deal here.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!