Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for white hats

Looking for white hats

Well, I've posted here before but thought this would be a good place to look for whitehat hackers. I'm going to be a network admin when I grow up (ha!) but with the market being the way it is, I may have to get into security. I would like to hook up with some white hats, preferably local to Utah. The reason is that it's funner to do the hacking and learning at someone's house, or meet and chat about security and stuff. I'm a computer geek but I'm also a people person. I like to be in the presense of people. Anyhow, I'm very much a n00b and probably the only thing I might do a little better than some of you here is a FPS game. I used to be kinda good at CounterStrike. Have fun and I look forward to hearing responses.

You should be able to buy all the hats you need riiiight here http://www.thinkgeek.com/apparel/hats/6345/
    ;P
    \" I love fools and mistakes i\'m alway\'s making them \" (Charles Darwin)

Sorry, don't live near Utah.

But, you know what they say, two minds (or more) are better than one. It'd be nice if I had some folks around here to compute with locally....

Oh well.

Banned

Re: Looking for white hats

Originally posted here by linuxalien
    Anyhow, I'm very much a n00b and probably the only thing I might do a little better than some of you here is a FPS game.
    Not only is the word hacker a very redundant, pointless, & often even a offending word mainly used by losers who want nothing more than a label or status symbol... but even your views on normal computer enthusiasts in general would seem rather offending. Do you think that just because some AOers may spend hours doing what morons like you are to lazy to do means that we are all socially and physically impaired losers who have no eye hand cordination?

"not only is the word hacker a very redundant, pointless, & often even a offending word mainly used by losers who want nothing more than a label or status symbol... but even your views on normal computer enthusiasts in general would seem rather offending. Do you think that just because some AOers may spend hours doing what morons like you are to lazy to do means that we are all socially and physically impaired losers who have no eye hand cordination?"

All the kid wants is some computer friends that live near him , are so ****ing retarded that you have to be rude and selfrighteous to every kid who comes along and uses a term you don't think is cool ? Aren't there any children in your neighborhood you can be mean to rather than polluting the internet with your holier than thou crap? Tell me king **** how many of your posts are actually helpful and hold useful information, relative to the amount of posts that contain shallow flaming and garbage? , hmm not many ehhh. I respect this kid (linuxalien)more than you and i am sure most others think the same , he shows initiative, a will to learn and is enthusiastic. You are just annoying and useless........

yeah these guys are loosers-- http://news.gw.com/freebsd.hackers/
    http://www.geocities.com/vienna/4345/richard.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/hacker-howto.html
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Banned
    Actually that whole post was done jokeingly in a way. But this isn't really about that is it? Its really about you and your broken dreams of one day proudly labeling yourself "hacker".

Originally posted here by lumpyporridge
    I respect this kid (linuxalien)more than you and i am sure most others think the same
    Now see this is the type of **** im talking about, right there. I don't give a **** what you think about me. I've ****ing heard it all before. I've answered questions be it quick yet rude but oh well... go into a corner and cry. I don't care. But anyways notice how its always the self proclaimed "h4xwh0res" who always involve things such as respect, money, and labels into what is (supposably) purely a quest of the mind. LOL yeah It sticks into the back of thier mind alright and it ain't know how, they've read all the text files they could get thier hands on, but no matter how much they try and hide it... its more about entertaining some form of audience or hell just the label "hacker" is good enought for many because then they can honestly say that they've joined a scene. They yern just be around some type of hahaha "eliteness" As if that will make them any less lame or as if useing a computer makes them better than other peaple.

Oh and about http://www.geocities.com/vienna/4345/richard.htm

Kevin mitnick was mainly busted so many times because he braged & showed off to peaple. Because of Woz & John D. a man once sold blue boxes to random idiots off the street & have you read the stories about what trouble happend when they braged to the media? MOD, they braged, and sold information, & lets not forget their lame ass 'im better than you' contests with LOD.

Infact most of the peaple you may claim are respectable yet ethical are the guys who *DIDN'T* jump around like a idiots yelling wooohoo im a hacker. But most of that is from complements & media hype anyways. It may make some happy, it may annoy others, but for them either way it sure as hell helps sell books

And I know that anyone who post here or anywhere else talking about thier quests of the mind... "hacking" the only reason they ****ing say that they wanna learn things is because they read it somewhere in a old text file. They aren't into computers at all. They're only interest in computer related things are fueled by everything else in the world money, respect, & to feel and pretend to be badass all day because they have a label and with that label they are one of billions in a over crowded scene of beedy eyed kids.

I totally relate to what the guy is sayin. the best way to learn is to ask questions, and asking questions in person is the best because you can rant them off nonstop like that kid in the van in home alone 1.(by the way i grew up with that kid off screen) So, same deal, anyone in the chicago area, drop me one.

I have no broken dreams and no aspirations in computers ,they are merely a hobby. Retard, thats a picture of richard stallman not mitnick. I didn't bother to read the rest so i won't comment further.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Elite Hacker
    What area of Utah you in. There is a 2600 thingy in Salt Lake City. They may not all be white hat but they all will probably share a lot of the same interests. http://www.2600slc.org/
    probably not what you are looking for, but hey, you still have AO if that falls through.

Ok, first I wanna say that I didn't mean that you guys didn't have hand-eye coordination. I used to be able to hold my own in CounterStrike and FPS simply because I was a LAN Party addict, as well as a at-home-LPB gamer thanks to my Cable Internet. If I get warmed up enough, I can still do some damage - depending on who I'm up against. My brother creams me in FPS and RPGs AND he knows more about computers than me so I'm not on an ego trip. I can admit when someone knows more than me. I don't want to be a hacker for the status symbol, though I wouldn't be ashamed of it either. Basically, I'm a Telecom major, which at my school is just networking. It's sort of like a glorified MCSE/CNA/Cisco guy who also knows phone systems like a PBX, key systems and whatnot. That would be just fine for me, except I've had one teacher who knows his stuff that teaches a PC Hardware class tell me that there's not much of a future in networking right now. I've had a couple of other people tell me that too, though I can't remember which ones they were. I've read in online news that Network security is a prospering business (so far at least). I've quit reading eWeek in favor of textbooks and safaribooksonline.com. Anyhow, I want a stable and secure job in the future that is challenging and fun. I figure there are enough black hats out there that wanna screw up the world and I'd like to stop that. I see them as an extension of the criminals on the street I've had problems with in the past. (Try living in California for 15 years - and Utah is getting bad too - maybe it's my big mouth that attracts them). Thanks to the guys that stick up for me. I'm part of a LUG for Linux, but we only meet once a month and a lot of those guys are busy or inactive but I'm trying to help them get up and going. They talked about wargames one time, to each about network security. I'd also like to be prepared for that.

I used to be more into computers than I am now. (other things take my attention right now - I've got more responsibilities). I dabbled in OS/2 and Linux since Mandarke 6.1 I think. I also bought a Mac at one time. I still love computers, and besides security I someday want to build a radio telescope that runs off Linux. I've heard of guys doing that and my other interest is astronomy. If you're ever in Utah check out www.clarkplanetarium.org. That place kicks ass. But I digress... Thanks to the people who responded and stuck up for me. If he was mainly joking that is cool. I suppose some people have pet peeves and I can't blame them for that. I remember I got RedHat 8 working with my horrible Nforce motherboard (horrible for Linux) and I installed Xchat. Well, it had a 2600 server already on it. I got curious, and went into a 2600 chat room and said hi and stuff. Some guy asked me if I wanted to join his clan. I asked him if he was talking about Quake 2, and he just went quiet. He was quiet for some time and I got this feeling something wasn't right. I logged off, ran a rootkit checker (www.chkrootkit.org) and it turned it I got a kernel module rootkit or something like that. I had all the latest updates and even set up Redhat to automatically notify me when there were new ones. I also didn't like running snort only to find about 50-100 hack attempts against my home network. It got to the point I was tired of reporting them cuz I never got a response back from the ISP and I kept getting attacked from the same IP addresses.

Anyhow - I just want to hang out with people I have a common interest with, but if there are no white hats in Utah, I'll just have to pester my LUG members. Oh, and my BSD LUG associates too. That's the best way to learn - immerse yourself in it. Good luck to all the others looking for people to chum around with! And thanks for the idea on those hats from Thinkgeek! I'll have to wear one of those when pruning some branches and mowing the lawn.

linuxalien