Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux and spyware?

Linux and spyware?

I know that spyware/adware is a growing problem for windows users.

Fortunately, we have programs such as adaware and spybot search and destroy to help with this problem.

I have not heard much about this for linux users.

Do linux users have to worry about this? If so, are there any spyware/adware detectors/removers for linux?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

From my search results I haven't found any linux software that deals with spyware so I don't think that linux users have to worry about it

I too came up empty handed while searching. Thats why I fell back on AO.

I installed LimeWire p2p app this weekend on my desktop box, and it got me wondering.

I know that Kazaa and the like come with quite a bit of spyware... but does the linux versions?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I would guess that the linux version would be cleaned. I didn't even know their was an linux version of Kazaa. If it is like soulseek, which was ported over to linux as nicotine or pysoulseek, and was ported by someone other than the original producer then I bet it is clean.

By the way, use nicotine, the files are better quality, you can talk to many nice people, and the files are organized in a tree structure on someone's share: http://nicotine.thegraveyard.org/
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I didn't even know their was an linux version of Kazaa
    AFAIK, there isn't. I was just using that as my example. I've never used LimeWire, but I figured I'd give it a shot because I'm trying my best to get away from m$ at home.

I like to help out my buddies band and put his songs (with permission) on p2p networks.

I just want to make sure that I'm not putting a boat load of spyware on there.

I suppose I'll just kill all connections and run a sniffer and dig through the traffic to make sure.

Lansing_Banda: Thanks for the suggestion. I'll check it out. Can't hurt to run them both I suppose. The more networks his music is on, the better.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

We always here about spyware for windows, but not for othe OSs like *nix or Mac for that matter.

I use gift http://gift.sourceforge.net.

It can do OpenFT, Gnutella, and FastTrack (the Kazza network.)

It takes some configuration setup initially, but I think it is worth it to have a Kazza client for Linux.

Dude if that is your goal then go with soulseek all the way. I know a ton of guys that are spreading their work out on soulseek. It is great too because you can talk to everyone and recommend that they try your stuff. Def give it a look. I am hosting three of my friends bands right now.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I have been using Limewire for about a month now, and I have not noticed any increase in spyware at all. The vidio files are corrupt about half the time, but that is the only thing I have found.
    Although, I am not using it on Linux, but windows.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Have you tried sniffing your outgoing traffic to see if anything is trying to send out data? I'm sure there is "spyware" on our systems, but does it react in the same fashion as if it was on a win box is the real question.

Something to look at.... http://www.firewallguide.com/spyware.htm

Info Tech Geek: I just did that when I got home. I couldn't find any evidence of spyware at the time, but I only let the sniffer run for 15min or so. I'm going to let it run all night and see what I come up with.

This is a new install, so I wouldn't expect much... but I did install that p2p app... hmm...