Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Linux and spyware?

I did a search aswell the onlything I remotely found Phishphreak was s virus scanner for linux.
    This is an anti-virus scanner for Linux
    http://linux.tucows.com/highlight_A-preview.html

I was searching on this forum site i use aswell and nothing turned up www.Linuxquestions.org
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...pyware+remover

Post a link or PM me if you do find some other software.

Again, thanks for the replies. I didn't turn up much in my initial search. Thanks for the link !mitationRust. That had some good insight. Actaully... a rather amusing site... I may have to register there.

if you are hacked to where you need to reformat than you are eather using chmod 777 / -R (Stupid) or running everything as root (almost as stupid)
    That is NOT a standard linux security practice?!?!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Just a minor observation, and I may be full of crap....but adware and spybot remove questionable cookies based on their definitions...and linux browsers use cookies also, so I would think that they are susceptible to this type of spyware, though I wouldn't really call them spyware per se. However, if you have a cookie on your computer for doubleclick.net, and it sends a message "home" concerning every site you visit, then you would have to consider it spyware, yes?

If you are blocking cookies, it shouldn't be an issue...

This is all pure hypothesis though!!!

groovicus: Good point. I have thought of this too. I clear my cache/cookies on a regular basis.

I'm more worried about the spyware that installs itself and changes your system. Changes homepages, modifies registry, popups, and all the other "not so nice" actions that they perform. Of course... a linux box doens't have a registry and can't run .exe files. (without futher support from wine, etc.)
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

ah - ha... I found the answer... Any software that does a baseline analysis and not directory specific will run on a linux system with Wine.

Hi Guys,

Not quite on topic, but I understand that:

http://www.bitdefender.com/

Does a free AV for linux plus a shed load of other AV/protection tools...might be worth a look?

Cheers

EDIT: I will get linux when people start writing decent viruses and exploits for it........"uncle Bill" says his guys canot come up with anything before Easter, so I am holding back a while