Thread: Traffic Generators/recommendations needed?

Traffic Generators/recommendations needed?

Hello all,

Has anyone had any experiences with using traffic generators..I would like to hear about any success stories/recommendations on particulars used...

I am basically looking for windows based traffic generators to flood a 10meg LAN...

I am testing an application/QoS for client..

Thnx in advance...

P.S
    any free ware/30 day trial versions are preferred....

I believe SolarWinds has something called WAN Killer, which does just that, I've used it a few times successfully, but I'm not sure if the demo version includes that.

I'm not sure if this will work, but If the network you want to flood is a test network, then you might be able to create broadcast storm using a few hubs and creating a loop. I dont think doing this will give you the results that you are looking for, but it should generate traffic (depending on how many hosts you have on that network)

^^^^Thinking outside the box^^^^
    t.e.k.n.o.

Depending on what kind of traffic you want to make, you could pretty easily create a flood of packets using the old DoS type thing...create some sort of looping structure that continual sends out packets, while it also checks for incoming packets so that it can respond and simulate traffic to your network.

Atleast...I'm assuming its your own network. ^_^ We're all good boys and girls here, aren't we?

Edit: Just re-read your post and saw the line about testing software for your client. Lack of sleep and massive caffeine has me skipping over things....eeeeee....

Also, you could always try to do the system check internally, within the server/computer itself so that you don't have that ever so tiny bandwidth wait...it might make things easier for you.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

Usually any application that uses Multicast traffic will do the job. We have nearly brought down our network several times with Ghost.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

Originally posted here by fraggin
    Usually any application that uses Multicast traffic will do the job. We have nearly brought down our network several times with Ghost.
    Heh....yeah ghost is good for that
    t.e.k.n.o.

thnx for the replies...
    Even a simple ftp I think will do the job.....

Just wanted to hear about any experiences.....

cheers

A nice little windows based stress test tool is blast.
    Blast - a small, quick TCP service stress test tool. Blast does a good amount of work very quickly and can help spot potential weaknesses in your network servers.

The original homepage was http://www.ntobjectives.com/ but it seems to have changed greatly since I was last there.

It is still available for download however from www.packetstormsecurity.com. The link to the file is http://packetstormsecurity.nl/Win/blast-1.1.zip.

thnx HTRegz

Ill give it a try....