Thread: {Modem Problem}

{Modem Problem}

I have a 56 k PCTel modem. Many a times when I connect, While the dial tone a sort of electric (chchchhchchchhhch sort of) . Whenever it does I can't connect. How can I fix this??
    There are 10 kinds people on Earth.
    Those who know Binary and those who dont.

[flip]4675636B207468652064616D6E20626C6F6F6479206861636B65642D757020776F726C6400[/flip]

I don't think it's any problem of yours (or your modem).
    I get this occasionally as well, I think it's a problem with the modem bank you're connecting to.

to help avoid this, get yourself a list of alternate isp access numbers and set up a dun for each one.
    (that is, if your isp doesn't force you to use a dialer that they provide)

OK your phone system is probably a whole lot different from mine, but I have come across what you describe, I think.

You might get your phone company to check the signal quality on your line? just report it as a fault.

Good luck

The Phone signal clarity is all right and this problem now a days is very common (every 3 times out of 5). The ISP provider dosn't have any alternat numbers and the prob isn't with dialer.

Please help Meeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!

[flip]4675636B207468652064616D6E20626C6F6F6479206861636B65642D757020776F726C6400[/flip]

Ok we have eliminated the phone line. That is good, because it is outside your control

Next:

1. Check the cable from the modem to the phone socket. Preferably borrow another one and try that. I have known intermittent connection problems and cut-offs to be caused by a damaged/faulty cable. Also check that it "locks" into the modem and you cannot pull it straight back out. Same at the wall socket end. (= faulty cable)

2. Try to borrow an external modem and test with that. (= faulty modem)

3. I am assuming that your modem is internal? If it is external you could take it to someone using a different ISP and see if the problem is still there (= faulty modem)

4. Do a google search for "modem testing software" and try that. Preferably set the "external loopback test" to a number other than your ISP (=faulty modem)

If all these are OK my conclusion is that you need to change ISP? Is it possible to get a "free trial" with another provider, and compare results?

Good Luck

your isp gives you only one number to dial up with ? that is sad indeed..

I'm telling ya.. it's your isp..

here, try this..

almost every isp is given blocks of numbers from the backbone provider. (usually 20)
    let's say your number ends with 5670.. use your regular phone to try to listen for modem sounds while dialing 5661 thru 5679.. if you hear modem sounds on these other numbers, then try using those numbers to connect with. it works for me in the USA.. don't know how they do things over in India.

I'm tellin ya it's not the isp.
    The sound begins from the dial tone itself.

I wouldnt' think it would be the ISP, have you been able to try a different modem? If not you can pick one up for $15.

let's say your number ends with 5670.. use your regular phone to try to listen for modem sounds while dialing 5661 thru 5679.. if you hear modem sounds on these other numbers, then try using those numbers to connect with
    A.K.A War Dialing. lol

Just through another modem in their and see if that fixes the problem.
    =

leapinglangoor.. ok.. I stand corrected.. sorry..
    I had the impression that you heard this after it started dialing and the sounds were wierd as it was making it's handshake..

then if your sure your phone line is good, then do as cheyenne said and try another modem..
    or try to find an alternate driver for your modem.. maybe it's corrupted or not quite right for your OS. lastly, you could look into some variations on modem init strings.

a few places for you to check out..
    http://www.modemhelp.net/
    http://www.modemhelp.org/
    don't forget this sub section
    http://www.modemhelp.org/resources.html
    http://modemsite.com/56k/index.asp
    a lot of good links to info and newsgroups.
    http://modemsite.com/56k/links.asp

some modem forums..
    http://www.vee90.net/vblite/index.php3
    http://www.modemhelp.net/vblite/index.php3

one last thought is that possibly you have some intermittent high RF interference source nearby.

leapinglangoor -
    Just saw your post and wanted to let you know I have experienced the same problem with the PCtel modems. It is NOT the phone line, nor the ISP. I do not have the problem with any of my external U.S. Robotics modems or a couple of other internal PCI modems of another brand.

Have you checked to see if there are any more current drivers than the one you are currently using? You don't indicate whether it is an on-board or PCI slot type and PCtel has different drivers for each. Some manufacturers carry drivers for this modem which are specific to their motherboards/systems, so that is another possible source. I've also found generic OEM PCtel modem drivers and 'Silicom' drivers for the PCtel modem. If you could use this info, let me know and I will be happy to pass it on.

Another thing you want to do as far as these modems go, is DELETE the ptsnoop.exe program. It is not required to run the modem and interferes with some programs you might already have loaded on your system. Be sure to remove it from your Win.ini file as well. You can do this by placing a colon ( at the beginning of the LOAD= line it is on. If there are other items on the same LOAD= line - put them on a new LOAD= line directly below the one for ptsnoop. I have the full instructions written out for this, with examples, if you need them.

I hope this has been of some help.

V.
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.