Access Data from CD in linux

Thread: Access Data from CD in linux

Banned

Access Data from CD in linux

Im trying to transfer my music from my windows over to my linux box. I burned a CD, but all the Mp3's are zipped.
    When I put the CD in I dont know where to find it at, do you know? And when I do find it is it possiable to unzipp that windows compress folder? Or Is there another way to get the Mp3's over from my Windows desktop to the linux box?
    I running a Dual boot XP home & Libranet 2.7
    thnx !mitationRust

either put them on a share or FTP server.

You should be able to mount your CDROM using the following command:

mount /dev/<cdrom device> /mnt/cdrom

on my redhat 9 box i would type "mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom" obvisously without the quotes

that should work for you.

***EDIT***

You should be able to unzip them using the UNZIP command.
    t.e.k.n.o.

Banned
    Ok I found the device name /hdc | I type in xterm: mount /dev/hdc /mnt/cdrom
    And I get the following error mount: mount poit /mnt/cdrom does not exist

But when I ran that command it shut the CDROM door so I know I getting close! Is there a command that you type to access the data on the cd? I mean will something pop up after I place in a cd after it starts reading the cd? Where do you all go after you put in a cd or does it just pop up a window?

Any suggestions on what Im doing wrong?

If you installed linux on your box with the cd-rom attached, just go to a terminal and type:
    cd /mnt/
    then type:
    ls -a
    this will show you everything that is mounted. If you have one harddrive then your cd-rom device should be hdb. so:
    cd hdb
    then your file/s should be there. Copy it to another location, like your home directory:
    cp <filename> /home/<username>/
    then cd to your home directory:
    cd /~
    then use the unzip command:
    unzip <filename>

dere you go.

BTW I have never used libranet before, are you running in a terminal or a gui? And what made you go for that release?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Banned
    If you installed linux on your box with the cd-rom attached, just go to a terminal and type:
    cd /mnt/
    then type:
    ls -a
    this will show you everything that is mounted. If you have one harddrive then your
    Ok, all this worked fine, but when I go to do the cd hdb it says "no such file or directory" I also put in cd hdc and it said the same thing. What am I doing wrong you think??

Oh and I like this libranet because it was a one disk install and the apt-get feature makes installation and updates really quick and painless. Oh yeah, and because gore turned me on to it! Really though, this distro is very good.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    hrmm could be easier ... the mount-problem is just cause the dir doesn't exist...

mkdir /mnt/cdrom
    mount /dev/<device> /mnt/cdrom
    cd /mnt/cdrom
    cp * /dir/dir

gunzip (or unzip) /dir/dir/file

***edit*** try a dmesg to see what device your system loaded as cdrom
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Yeah, if you don't have your cd-rom mounted you will need to...well mount it. I won't repeat what shrekkie said. And are you using the free libranet or the OEM one that they are selling?
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Banned
    Its been along day but now I have my music on my linux box and I oh it all to the following members(no picticular order)

gore : Thnx for everything all the help on linux on the board and in PM's your Uber in my mind!!!

Shrekkie: Hmmmmmmr......... Your one bad a$$ motha and I will also think your Uber!!!!

Lansing_Banada: Your pretty cool dude you were willing to help me out on the board I always respect you for that!

Tekno: Your my newbie friend I like some tekno & and I used to go to rave so I like you right off the bat thnx for the help bra!

I hope this crapp didnt sound sabby but it meant the world to me

thnx !mitationRust
    This thread has been declared a "TYPE0Positive"