NTFS/Linux Box

Thread: NTFS/Linux Box

NTFS/Linux Box

I was just curious if there was a way possible to allow my nix box to access an NTFS formatted drive that contains only Mp3's.

Also, should I change the format of this drive or leave it as is. The only information on this drive is my (LEGAL - BACK UP) collection of (SELF-RIPPED) Mp3's.

I'm using a setup like that right now. (dualboot) I have xp on a NTFS formatted drive and another drive with SUSE 8.2 using the reiser FS.

I can access/mount my NTFS drive and play my mp3s from there just fine. I can't write to it though...

NTFS write support is experimental and they recommend that you use fat.

Have a look @ http://linux-ntfs.sourceforge.net/

I've found a better way to do it though (IMO)... setup a linux box with samba and use that to store your files. You can access that form windows or linux and have read and write access if you configure it for that.

If the NTFS share that you are trying to access isn't in the same PC, then you can use SMB (file print sharing) and smbclient to mount that remote drive. You will have read/write access to that given the permissions are correct.
    This will work if its a linux or windows box... you're going to need the same usernames and passwords to make it a bit easier for you though...

Hopefully I didn't just confuse you. Let me know if I did, and I'll try to explain a bit better.

Or, post your exact setup, and we can look at your options and what'd work best for you.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

My system is a Dual boot WinXP/Red Hat 9. The drive with the MP3's is a 20GB hard drive that is slaved. I just want to listen to the Mp3's while I'm working. I prefer to work and possibly move to Linux Full Time..

You should be able to load the ntfs drivers/modules and then mount that drive.

Just remember... read only... unless you decide to make it fat

check out that link I posted above. That should do it for ya.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.