Differences between BSD's...

Thread: Differences between BSD's...

Differences between BSD's...

I've seen all the Bsd's out there (net,open, free), and I've heard they're good for servers, but what are the differences between each one? Is it just the software with it? Or is it more than that? TiA (thanks in advance).
    What do you get when you cross a nun and a penguin?
    An operating system that won\'t go down on you.

Banned
    http://nscp.upenn.edu/aix4.3html/aix.../appa_diff.htm
    http://www.billswrite.com/bsd/bsdindex.htm

sorry if i didnt help you much, but im not much of a BSD person.

There is a joke among old programmers that goes like this:
    "For a research project 10 BSD programmers were locked in a room together for a week. When the room was opened, what they found was the programmers all dead with their hands on each others throats, and 13 new flavors of BSD."

Basically like Linux, BSD has been altered and distributed by various groups. I personally like OpenBSD but it seems like I see more applications are FreeBSD ready than others but thats just a personal observation. Most large distro's have ports and packages of all the same applications as Linux, and if they dont exist you can usually compile them yourself without too much trouble (I use the terms 'usually' and 'trouble' very loosely here )

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Dragonfly http://www.dragonflybsd.org/Main/ is also another bsd (a recent fork of freebsd 4.X with some interesting goals) Free has the largest following and is quite good for a desktop as well as server. Net is very oldschool and more true to the original nixes, the people who use it tend to love it and swear by it. Open is a quick and easy server as it is locked down prettty good so you don't need to do a lot to secure it (its more work to make it in to a desktop).
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Linux is just a Kernel, that's it. BSD on the other hand is a complete OS.
    Umm.... Last time I checked all the *nix based OSes were just kernels. The tools were built/ported after the kernel came about. The BSD is the Berkley split of the Unix family whereas the rest (Sun, etc.) followed the SVR4 direction.

Many of the tools are exactly the same, just some of the options or how the tool fully runs is slightly different.

At least, that was my last understanding of it all.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Yes, and although BSD is a derived work from AT&T's Unix, and Linux is an original kernel from Mr.Torvalds, I think its safe to say they are very much alike since they are both the product of someone creating a Unix like OS for x86 architecture.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    Yeah, what MsMittens said....
    Linux is a Kernal
    BSD is a Kernal
    if you want to get technical, WindowsXP is a kernal.

The primary difference is what is included in a lot of cases. Obviously WindowsXP includes lots of other ****.

Suse linux is packaged with lots of other stuff. It is a linux kernal, with lots of linux compatable programs. Slackware is a linux kernal with few linux compatable programs. Everything else is somewhere in between.

Same idea with BSD, except that they also do modifications to the kernal in some cases. Open BSD takes the BSD kernal, improves the security some, and includes server specific programs that are known (so they think) to be secure. NetBSD takes the kernal and ports it to every possible OS and then starts porting the different programs. FreeBSD takes the BSD kernal and includes every program they can find to make it easier on the person doing the installation.

Linux is basically a BSD clone, with some differences and a larger userbase. If you compare linux, BSD, and Unix, you will see that linux and BSD are very close, while Unix is quite different.
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman

Kwiep
    in my experience BSD and unix were close and linux was the "bit different", altough it's about the kernel again... depends what apps you put on it
    Double Dutch

I've used both OpenBSD and NetBSD, that would be in the present tense had athe NetBSD machine's processor fan not seized. Virtually indistinguishable. There's something about BSD's, they just seem so clean, even cleaner than the simplest of Linux installs that I've used. And I'm not slamming Linux, because once I save this box from my mom and my sis it's going to become my linux desktop machine. The OpenBSD machine I don't even have a keyboard/mouse/monitor plugged into, since that isn't what I'm using it for. (The NetBSD machine I have an old green screen monitor..., I might have an old VGA laying about..., hmm)

Anyway, flavours (egads, I'm US not GB, where'd that "u" come from) of *nix cause holy wars. I'd choose one, but then my network would lose a lot of personality.

Ciao,
    Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel