Is this the End of Google ?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this the End of Google ?

Is this the End of Google ?

With Microsoft experimenting with search services could this be the final years of google ? and other purely search based services ?

what do you guys think ?

The END of GOOGLE?!

I hardly think so! Any good sysadmin knows that their IEAK homepage should be set to www.google.com
    (not to mention all the other mass browser deployments)

There are sooo many people out there that use google... do you really think that people will turn to microsoft's search engine so they can be greated with tons of ads and their own products first?

Google wants to turn a profit, for sure... but at least they mix in their paid listings with the other listings. They at least tell you which ones are paid...

I'll believe it when I see it?
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

M$s search engine sucks, and everybody knows it. They might have gobbled up OS market before people could be exposed to alternatives, but in this case M$ is just going to lost the $ and become the the big M ....sorry for the lame joke :P
    Did curiousity really kill the cat, or is that just what they want you to think?

Google is God of the internet. Any opposition to it will result in net like palgues.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I was reading about that Microsoft and their MSNBot but of course it all boils down to this :

"Company executives hope the program will eventually prove to be the elusive technology that binds its various Web sites, applications and, of course, the dominant Windows operating system."
    Typical Micorsoft always wanting to dominate everything that they can get their hands on. First with their Operating System, next with their web browser and probably others.

Now about Microsoft dominating over Google I agree with everyone else not likely to happen. Google in my point of view is a very powerful search engine. Many people already enjoying using it. Yes they might be some people who might like the MSNBot over Google but I doubt that it will be a huge number.

Here's a link to read some more about it ... I highly Recommend on reading it very good article

"Microsoft's path to expand the Windows empire is leading directly to search king Google."
    http://news.com.com/2009-1032_3-1020641.html

As to wether MSNBot will be better than Google I guess that we'll just have to wait and see ...
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Interesting that was.
    But come on i as if anyone or company would be able to take Google down.
    Everyone uses it, and it's a well known name.
    Me thinks that Microsoft should stop trying to rule the Monopoly so to speak, and realise that they cannot control everything like they think they can..

ceative

As to the everyone uses it answer, the same can be said about Yahoo,Altavista,excite in their day , then came the likes of Ask Jeeves and then we have Google. Its all about innovation and giving something new to the audience. I very much doubt that Google will be top dog in 2 years time. The way i see it is the co-founders should get their $$ before they lose the chance. The problem with being top dog is you have little room to innovate whilst the underdogs can play around with various offering until something catches the publics imagination. Yep MS has the big bucks and spend like $30 million dollars a day on research and can afford to buy the best people and technology so i see no reason for them to not win. Though implementing a Web-search function that will bring together their products will be hard.

esi1 has a point. When I started using the web, the search engine that I was always pointed to was Altavista. Then one day a new ( and innovative ) search engine called Google arrived, and exploded onto the market. All of this is within a few years.

Google gained its reputation, and retains its dominance, by the one simple fact that it produces better results than other engines. While it is able to do this, it will remain dominant. Some time, another engine will come along that is more innovatinve, and produces results easier or better than google can. What I doubt is that MS will do this. Innovation is not something they have a great reputation for, and what is really needed in terms of search engines is innovation, to help people find what they need.

except that MS do not have to take Google down... they could simply buy out Google wholesale, keep the name (and staff if they're lucky) and take it from there... imagine CEO of Google one morning <slap> here you go sir, personal cheque from Bill Gates... $150 million (or however much Google is worht these days)

I reckon the CEO of Google has a bit more integrity than that but you get my point

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

zonewalker - you are right, they could simply buy google, and then slowly, over the next few hours, reinvent it as an MS marketing tool.

But my point is that buying google ( even leaving it as it is ) would not guarantee them the top slot for long. There will come along other search engines that will compete and be better, because they will use new innovations in finding material on the net. As has been said in a number of places, the traditional search engine approach is starting to reach the end of the road. What is needed is not google, but another, more radical approach to finding material, and that approach will not come from MS, who will be too busy paying over the odds to google.