Thread: Looking for a software

AO French Antique News Whore

Looking for a software

I'm looking for a program that will always scan my network to know what computer is up and running and warn when a specific computer log on the network.

To be more exact, I want a software that will warn me when a computer with name "SDK" will log in the network. The software should be able to ping the network every X mins, resolved computer name and keep a history. If anyone know or find a program like that, give me a link plz. Thank you.

I'll continue looking on my side.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

I came across a couple, but I am not sure if they fully meet your needs. Anyhow you can have a look if you want.

WhosOnline

IPMonitor

Active Network Monitor

Thats all I have time to look for now, I'll check again later.

Cheers:
    DjM

Re: Looking for a software

Originally posted here by SDK
    I'm looking for a program that will always scan my network to know what computer is up and running and warn when a specific computer log on the network.

To be more exact, I want a software that will warn me when a computer with name "SDK" will log in the network. The software should be able to ping the network every X mins, resolved computer name and keep a history. If anyone know or find a program like that, give me a link plz. Thank you.

I'll continue looking on my side.

Can you code any? Seems like if this is all you want, it could be written fairly easily...

If you can't find any existing program that will do what you are wanting, I'm sure that some of the coders that frequent AO would be willing to help you out...
    - Maverick

I think this product might meet your needs. tryout the 30 day trial software.

http://www.tamos.com/products/nettools/

Thank, I'll take a look a those tomorrow morning.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

DjM, it program call WhosOnline look good. It's does keep the IP address in is history log sadly but the rest is nice. Thank.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

you could always learn to write a script....

have it ping the computer name and when it gets a reply have it execute a net send to your computer so you get a pop up

AKA [glowpurple]Boston_Ripper[/glowpurple]

passive monitoring will work best against active ones, look into RNA (Realtime network awarenes) by sourcefire, or you could modify a program such as p0f to do your needs.

Thank qod but I'm not looking for a intrusion detection system. The utilites WhosOnline is doing a great job. If I could add the IP in the history when a computer log on and off of the network, the program would be exactly what I want.!
    -Simon \"SDK\"