Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conversation Ethics on AO

Conversation Ethics on AO

Ethics of the online world
    When people sit down at a computer they may feel a cretin degree of freedom. And in many aspects that is true but that dose not mean you are free from the rules of ethics, and that every one you talk to is a computer with no feelings of any kind, so don’t treat them that way. This tutorial is going to be about the ways to talk on AO without making enemies among the other people working on the site.

Noob calling
    Noob or newb of newbie how ever you would like to say it, is the most common insult used on AO. This to me makes no matter of sense at all. This insult is used directed at people new to the web site. Why would someone insult you for your age if they do not really know it? If someone is new to the site they may very well know just as much and more about the topics presented, then the noob caller themselves. So the title means nothing and if it is used in derogatory fashion it may make the “noob” less prone to share the information with you that he/she might have and you don’t.

False Information.
    When people ay things in a post that is known to be false do not go right to insulting the person. Before jumping to conclusions about how what a person is saying is false so the person must know nothing about anything, consider that the person may have said something wrong that may change the meaning of the whole sentence, if false information is presented take the following steps
    1) Reread
    The information presented may be completely and in every way correct but just something that you failed to read.
    2) Ask
    It is also possible that the person may have said the wrong thing or used a choice of words that changes the meaning of the entire post. If this may be so then ask the person, (using delicate words) if what they are saying is what they meant to say, if not then have them clarify.
    3) Check your information, maybe you think what they said is false and it is really true.
    4) If it turns out the person is wrong in all aspects then please inform them of their mistake so that information can be gained out of the whole experience (that is what AO is for) instead of insulting slashing and otherwise wrecking the persons reputation and making enemies.
    Dumb Questions
    This place is full of them. Things that are answered in the FAQ and/or things that anyone on this site should know. I know that we are all really tired of hearing them but come to realize that though you’ve read them a million times they have not. And cut a little slack for them, after all they disserve at least that much. Insulting and pestering for making such questions can only make a bad situation worse. And if these questions make you really that angry then just plan ignore them and pretend you never saw it.

Random talking
    When ever you are in a conversation please keep in mind that everyone can read it. So if you are talking to someone you know about a person that is a moron always remember the person you are calling a moron can hear you, so use educate in all places.

Conclusion
    Please be sure that you are not insulting people so much that they are compelled to leave this site and never gain from what it can give. And please talk using the basic rules of ethics, all it could possibly do is good.

Hi Khayman,

I'm a n00b when it comes to computers and I don't see anything ethically wrong with saying so or calling someone such...
    not everything that is socially applied has to do with ethics...

I agree with your sentiment but...find it unrealistic...
    AO is not unlike any real world situation...you're going to find a broad mix of personalities and opinions...
    and for the most part there will be nothing you can say or do to change those personalities and opinions...

so...
    you are left with a choice...to live with it or to leave and find some place that you find more socially acceptable...

unlike the real world, where you don't usually have the ready option, here in cyberspace you can just move on to where you feel more comfortable...there is no shortage of sites available...

personally, I like the variety and mixture, the conflicts and opposing views, but that's just me.

Eg

I do understand what you mean and why you would think that. all I know is I don't, when it comes to conflicts and opposing veiws this is one of them now between me and you. but we are still not insulting eachother or taking the conflict to far. That is what I wish to see in more conflicts on this site and so i wrote this.

As for the live with it or leave, you may find I am not very good at ither of those things.

Hey Hey,

I think that AO has it's own Ethics that hae been obtained over time and are policed and enforced by the mods and APs... I agree with some of what you say... but in theory only... A lot of stuff just isn't practical....

At the same time, and no offense to you, I don't think it's right for someone who's been here for such a short period of time to tell us what the ethics of this site is...

Had you entitled it like you did in the post itself "Ethics in an Online world" that would have been more appropriate... and I'm still not sure I agree with Ethics... Morals maybe... but like your "random talking" section... that's not unethical to talk about someone else.. it may be immoral.. but not unethical...

Anyways...

My 2 cents..

peace,
    HT

Hi Khayman,

As most people are aware here, I like a good argument, but I do agree with you about those having to resort to name calling or insults to make a weak case seem stronger...it's not necessary to bottom-feed to have a discussion...but then you just cut them short and that's that.

If you're going to get involved in a discussion you have to expect that it is something that might come up...then deal with it.

As for staying or leaving that is your own choice...but if you stay, you are not going to change who people are simply because you have a vision of a social utopia.

Eg

well then reread the whole thing replacing every time I say ehtical with moral, seeing as that is the basic point i'm trying to make. sorry about my word choice there, if you don't like ethics say moralitys. Still the point remains the same

ok then Egaladeist I guess i do agree, and I can deal with it thats not the issue, but whatever anyone says I will allways beleve in my soical utopia.

At least now we understand each other.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    When people sit down at a computer they may feel a cretin degree of freedom.
    cre·tin Audio pronunciation of "cretin" ( P ) Pronunciation Key (krtn)
    n.

1. A person afflicted with cretinism.
    2. Slang. An idiot.

Source

I guess it all went downhill from there.....

Spell checking is pretty basic. You wrote it in English and there are numerous spell checkers out there... It denigrates your tutorial if you don't....

OTOH, the content is on par with the spelling.....

Is it just me or are we hitting one of those "low points" in tutorials again.... Is it a waveform thing?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Damnit, why can't I kill file the internet?
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Hi TS,

Even though I agree that ' cretin ' was way off of ' certain '...I don't think spelling is a criteria for posting around here ( tutorials or otherwise )...
    because if it was, there would be no members left...including you and I!

Eg

EDIT: The post in question was acceptable...despite the opinions of others! I agree when a post looks like this...

' i wan to see if u can answr this queston fer mee '

but the above post was fine.