Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Installing Slackware Linux 9.1

Re: Installing Slackware Linux 9.1

Originally posted here by gore

Slackware Linux has reputation for being hard to install. I disagree with this. I have installed Slackware about 20 times now, and I have yet to use a book or manual.
    If you have an older version of Slackware, check out Er0k's tutorial here:

Great tutorial and I agree with you on it simplicity. Back when I first tried to use linux slackware was the only one i could get installed and running X properly . But I do have one question that may not be "slack-specific" but oh well, I install the Nvidia drivers for my MX440 and everything install and works fine but when I switch to a virtual terminal while in X all i get is a blank screen and i cant type commands? Also if i log out of fluxbox or hit CTRL ALT BKSPC it goes to the console but all i get it big green blocks all over the screen?!?! I can still type commands but i am typing blindly and it is annoying as ****. I have looked all over the place and seen pple with the same problem but no solution so if anyone has any info on how to fix it I will make a shrine of them in my backyard.
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=517

the Open Source model doesn\'t offer any great benefit in
    terms of reliability and security. -Bill Gates

I'v had that happen a few times. Instead of using ALT CTRL F* to switch, just use the left ALT button and the left and right arrow keys to switch VCs and see if that works. Seems to work for me so far.

Hey gore!! Maybe I'm dumb, but I have a question. Why such a large swap space?
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Cool

I would suggest any linux First timer to PRINT this MANUAL out before the install. Save yourself some time and headache.

BumpUP

Originally posted here by bludgeon
    Hey gore!! Maybe I'm dumb, but I have a question. Why such a large swap space?
    Well, the box specs are:

Pentium 3 733 MHz.

43 GB HD.

384 MBs RAM.

So basically just in case. It gives good performance so I'v kept it similar in all installs. I usually have either that size, or around 700 MBs at the very least.

Hey Gore Big Thumbs Up on this 1 you saved me alot of work. I was thinking of making a tutorial for a couple of friends but like i said u saved me alot of time. Thanks Good Job
    I ROOTED YOUR GIRLFRIENDS BOX AND DIDNT EVEN USE A TROJAN

Just another question for you guys is it possible for me to be able to install Slackware Linux 9.1 on an old Pentium 1 166 MHz with 32 MB's of RAM and 1662 MB [FAT32]? It's an old computer that I have sitting around and it still works really well.I've been wanting to do something with it. It's nothing real fancy just a really basic system that I just have there sitting there doing nothing. Or would you guys recommend something else ? Any suggestions.

I apologize again Gore for having changed the topic once again. I just saw no necessetity into starting a new thread that's all .
    Operation Cyberslam
    \"I\'ve noticed that everybody that is for abortion has already been born.\" Author Unknown
    Microsoft Shared Computer Toolkit
    Proyecto Ututo EarthCam

Originally posted here by Agent_Steal
    Just another question for you guys is it possible for me to be able to install Slackware Linux 9.1 on an old Pentium 1 166 MHz with 32 MB's of RAM and 1662 MB [FAT32]? It's an old computer that I have sitting around and it still works really well.I've been wanting to do something with it. It's nothing real fancy just a really basic system that I just have there sitting there doing nothing. Or would you guys recommend something else ? Any suggestions.

I apologize again Gore for having changed the topic once again. I just saw no necessetity into starting a new thread that's all .
    Don't worry, your still on topic. And yea, Slackware will work fine on that. You can install it on a 386 if you have one. A pentium is fine for any Linux distro. You may have to go into the BIOS if you can't boot from a CD though. Unless you want to make floppies and do it and then use the CD after the floppy has started up. Either way you should be fine.

Thumbs up

Thank you gore for a great tutorial. I used this tut and installed Slackware 9.1 on an old Dual PII 400Mhz box that I ressurected from the spare parts pile. The install was absolutely painless. I am writing this response using said install. I have been considering installing some form of *nix OS for several years now. And after several failed attempts at FreeBSD, Debian, Red Hat, etc.... I now have a working box. I also want to thank you for reminding me to check the Slackware site for upgrades and security updates. The box is now fully patched and happy . When my computer is happy I am happy.

To anyone reading this who has never successfully installed Linux, I highly reccomend using this tutorial to install Slackware. I am now a Linux addict and will continue to use Linux from now on. W00t!
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Excelent tutorial, extremely informative. Thanks a bunch for the un-necissary 1-on-1 trouble shooting. Great job

-z3