Thread: Access files via internet past Belkin router fw's and xp securities?

Smile Access files via internet past Belkin router fw's and xp securities?

My brother and I would like to share our files. They are music, movies, etc that are too large to email. He does not want to install a freeware vpn, b/c most of them have very little security across the internet. Is there a way we can do this? We remote to each other using MS remote assistance, but the cable connection is not fast enough to allow us to watch movies from each other. Even if it was, we don't want the other person to interupt what we are doing. Is this even possible? We both have Belkin wifi routers (we use its fw), win xp sp2 (fw disabled), greater than 1.8ghz machines, greater than 1/2 G ram, cable internet.

Any ideas would be great, thank you!

Hi tiffanydw2, first of all welcome to antionline. Do you get really get interupted as for file sharing
    is concenred you can use the windows file sharing (a.k.a netbios) or some third party applicaions like direct connect or pc anywhere.

Warlock, thank you for the greeting and quick response! If you're asking if the MSN Messenger Remote Assistance connection is interupted, no, it's not actually "interupted". It behaves like trying to watch streaming video on a 28K dial up modem. Remoting and movies at the same time spikes your RAM. But as far as normal use, it's great. I work on people's pc's in other towns, countries, and what have you, from my own home! I have two dummy messenger accounts. I can have anyone use one whether they have an id themselves or not.

I will look up the programs you referred me to. It has to be freeware, though.

Thank you!
    \"You people make me ENVY the deaf and the blind. You are the feces produced when shame eats too much stupidity.\" - Dale, King of the Hill

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Do yall both live in the same house or seperately? because me and my roomates created a network using MS networking tool in the control panel... if you live seperately I will advise you overwise.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Banned
    Are you talking about streaming movies together, or just sharing them?

If you just want to share them sftp is the way to go, just forward the appropriate port on the router, and you'll be able to share files as fast as your connection will allow.

Make sure you take appropriate security measures for the sftp server, on both ends, as this is a common place for system compromises.

Niiiiiiice pic, d LOL I've caught my bro like that many times.

Tex, I am 33yo, if I have to live in the same house with him, I'd rather die a horrible flaming death.

It would be nice to be able to do both streaming or file sharing. But sharing files is what we want most. I'm only familiar w/ vpn's. I will look and see if there's a freeware sftp that doesn't have ads or spyware or any other crap. Does stfp let you go to any of his pc's w/ one connection, or do you have to set up different connections for each computer? We were hoping to do something that would go from router to router, and we could share from whatever computer we wanted from that router. We thought that might also be a faster connection in fixing other people's computers. If it's too complicated, though, we can't use it for that. We don't deal w/ the brightest people. I have to walk them through logging onto MSN messenger! I will save my speech about stupid people. Ya'll are awesome, thanks!!
    \"You people make me ENVY the deaf and the blind. You are the feces produced when shame eats too much stupidity.\" - Dale, King of the Hill