Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My country tis of thee..

My country tis of thee..

I don't usually post in the cosmos, but I thought this might provide some food for good debate...

There has been an advertisement for Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6, a video game for x-box. It's basically a shoot-em game where you play a soldier.... That isn't the part that bugs me.

The soundtrack for the commercial is a young child singing "My country 'tis of thee", and it sounds very sweet, and quite frankly, kind of eerie.

From an advertising standpoint, the commercial is perfect...it evokes an emotional response, and you remember the commercial. However, I think this one goes over the line. Basically it tells children that you are not a patriot unless you play this game...

Am I just getting old?...for some reason though, the commercial bothers me...I think it goes over the line.

Basically it tells children that you are not a patriot unless you play this game...
    I didn't get that exact impression that tells kids they aren't patriotic unless they play, only that it targets those would be patriotic player types who may otherwise pass up on the game.

Heck if you take that tone you might as well say your not a patriot unless you drink Dr. Pepper, Drive a Chevy and partake in a little Budweiser several times a week. They all pull on the "patroit" strings. How many comercials have I seen that involve fireman and policeman and companies helping them with 9/11 taking center stage??? Hundreds and it's an attempt to sway your purchase. I think it apeals to consumer emotions vs. logic and has some good and negative attributes.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Re: My country tis of thee..

Originally posted here by groovicus
    Basically it tells children that you are not a patriot unless you play this game...

The Bush dictatorship has been telling the citizens the same thing since 9/11.

However, I think this one goes over the line. Basically it tells children that you are not a patriot unless you play this game...
    I don't get that impression at all, I think its just fine to have.

The Bush dictatorship has been telling the citizens the same thing since 9/11.
    And just where did you get that idea confirmed kill?
    =

Haven't you heard Cheyenne? The constitution was burned, the house and senate leaders were killed and all elections were suspended then made illegal by Bush and his ruthless totalitarian party.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hi Guys,

Just a goddam limey here.....but if it were not for us you would not have a White House?

Can anyone give me the purchase details of:

"The Battle Hymn Of The Republic"

"Dixie"

I will say "FFFFFFFFFFFFf" to the RIAA and the lot, but" I WANT THE FULL COMMERCIAL VERSIONS"

Any help appreciated

Cheers

Johnno

but if it were not for us you would not have a White House?
    Well from what I remember about history, you guys burnt our first whitehouse down. lol

From what I know about the song Dixie, it was the souths marching song during the civil war.

Road Closed:

What makes you say that?
    =

Well from what I remember about history, you guys burnt our first whitehouse down. lol
    Actually our history books teach us it was Canada that did that. I always thought that was kinda weird, 'cause that was during the war of 1812 and Canada wasn't a country until 1867. It was also the only war the United States ever lost.

There also seems to be a general belief today that we need only thank those who defend our democracies and homelands. We seem to forget the philosophers who created it and the engineers who built it.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Banned
    It was the British army who burned down the White House, along with every public building in Washington, DC, partially as a revenge for the burning down (by Americans) of York, Canada.

4,000 British veterans... no Canadians, Striek
    They landed in the Chesapeake Bay area (east of Washington) in 1814, and encountered 6,000 Americans in Bladensburg. The British fired a couple of shots, the Americans ran for their lives, the British burned down Washington, DC.

Thanks for straightening that out negative, I'm studying world history right now so I'm kinda out of the loop with American History. lol

One other thing Nihil, what makes you think we wouldn't have a white house if it had not been for you guys?

lol

I think its kinda weird how Britain use to be our worst enemy, but now they are our closest ally. lol
    =