There are a lot of these guides up, and I recommend reading them all, they're very good. However, they're a pain to read, and this one might be too. But it just might help some people out there are new to AO. So here's my advice, coming from an old poster who's once again a newbie, just in case it manages to help atleast one person here. :-)

Read the first FAQ, the website FAQ FAQ. You can find some of the basics there, and it'll prove most useful. You don't have to read the entire thing in a detailed manner, you won't remember it all anyway. Read what you think is relevant and get the jist of it. Next BOOKMARK IT. Save it, and go back and re-read it later.

Go through the basic FAQs and do a search before posting anything to the "How do I or What is" section. You just might find it, and save some webspace. This is one of the major causes of confusion and annoyance amongst the older AO members.

If you make a mistake, don't repeat it. You'll be told when you do, by atleast one person, trust me. When you're told, apologize quickly and sincerely, and fix the problem. Then never do it again. Most negs that a person gets comes from when they repeat a mistake, not when they make it the first time.

If someone yells at you in the forums, do not yell back. Be gracious. The last thing you want is a flaming war. No matter how long you've been here, a flaming war is not going to do you any good.

Look around for awhile before you do any major posting, you're far less likely to make a mistake. When you do make a post, be gracious and open about it, whether you're offering advice or asking a question. Saying "I think" instead of "It is" will help people recieve you a lot better, and you're less likely to get negged.

Don't be cocky. Ever. There's always someone better than you, or someone who knows more. No one is immune to mistakes.

Lastly...read the FAQs. Read them often. Go back to them, and re-read them before you do anything that involves basic questions. I said this earlier but I can't stress it enough. Doing this will help people recieve you a LOT better...trust me. Read them, and re-read them. You'll know when you know them well enough and you don't have to keep going back and doing that. :-)

There's more than one FAQ. I think atleast ten VERY good ones came before this, and a bunch more are sure to come after it. Read the most recommended ones, and a few of the lamer ones. It certainly can't hurt you.

I hope this manages to help atleast one person out there.

From the old newbie to the new ones....have fun.