NetBios Problems

Thread: NetBios Problems

NetBios Problems

Connection: Cox Cable, using Terayon Modem USB.

Ok trying to learn from the netbios tutorial, but when i try to do

nbtstat -A 127.0.0.1

or

nbtstat -A (my friend's IP)

it says:
    Local Area Connection 6:
    Node IpAddress: xxxxxx

Host Not Found

But when i do:
    nbtstat -A (the Actual IP) it shows everything...

I've tried searching on what is wrong.. and i can't seem to find it.. sorry for asking... i'm really trying to learn Security/Networking on my own, but i'm stuck here.... argh.

Thanks for your help.

Getting stuck is nothing to worry about. The first thing you should look into is: Is there a firewall that's blocking it? That's the only thing I can think of. Sadly, I'm new to netBIOS and such myself.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

nbtstat does not like the local loopback interface. If you are having trouble finding your friends machine it may be a firewall or router somwhere is blocking NetBios (very likely).

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

Ok... argh... he doesn't have a firewall.. and he doesn't have Windows XP firewall enabled... i was thinking maybe it was my computer... argh...

its weird cuz i can check my IP.... with no problem...

Do they have to have netbios on? or is it automatic thing or what?

cuz like when i do an nmap his thing is:

67/tcp filtered
    80/tcp filtered
    110/tcp open pop3
    135/tcp filtered
    136/tcp filtered
    137/tcp filtered netbios
    138/tcp filtered netbios
    139/tcp filtered netbios

But he says he doesn't have it enabled.. and i know he has windows xp... anywho... i guess i can't access it from there? is it possible to exploit the open port (pop3) if so how or what do i use to exploit it?

Note ports 137-139 are filtered these are the ports used by NetBios. Either your friend or his ISP is not allowing NB traffic.

-Maestr0
    \"If computers are to become smart enough to design their own successors, initiating a process that will lead to God-like omniscience after a number of ever swifter passages from one generation of computers to the next, someone is going to have to write the software that gets the process going, and humans have given absolutely no evidence of being able to write such software.\" -Jaron Lanier

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I would close the pop3 port unless your friend has a mail server running there which the nmap scan implies he isn't.... POP passes username and password in clear for a start and it is exploitable too..... Not a port a home machine should have open.....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

So how would i gain access to it? I've tried telneting.. but i guess that would be stupid.. i dunno.... any hints help?

Elite Hacker
    If the scan comes up filtered, then something is blocking it. I don't know what you could do besides actually going to your friends house and messing with the configuration. It will be a good project for you to try to get it to work for you. Good luck. Also if Maestr0 is on to something and the ISP filters all NetBIOS traffic, then there is probably nothing you can do.