Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is a Car Mechanic Like An IT admin?

Is a Car Mechanic Like An IT admin?

A Car Mechanic can often repair a car, I compare them to IT admins. He might know how to rebuild a carberator or replace the heads but if you saw the car in half he has to call in someone who can weld it back together.

Every IT admin knows what he is good at because that was always their primary focus in learning, much like an idependant mechanic doing side work and only being able to repair certain things.

Now the welder, he can weld anything back together big or small but if its not steel his role becomes useless and someone else must be called.

If the Car Mechanic is like an IT admin... who is the welder like, and who would the IT admin call in this type of situation.

I may have had a little to much to smoke today but I would love to hear everone elses ideas and input on this subject.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Ghost:

I would love to hear everone elses ideas and input on this subject
    Quit smoking! Start thinking...... You'll feel better in the long run......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    Ghost:

Quit smoking! Start thinking...... You'll feel better in the long run......
    Are you saying that smoking = no thinking? Maybe you should take a poll and see just how many of us smoke.

I was asked the same question that I posted. He did say he was smoking a little bit so I added that to the post; My reply to him was much different then yours was to me. I replied with the fact that one had nothing to do with the other and the question was designed to try and trick me into representing myself in a shallow minded manner.

I replied after that with... When you are hired as an IT admin you are hired as part of a Team, one that represents security and not grease. Not everyone can do everything by their self and to be a good security admin you must work with others and share knowledge. I have no problem working with a team or being part of a group that offers constructive criticism. I also have no problem accepting it. I am not Ghandi and just because I know a lot does not mean I know everything.

I find that when dealing with folks that have a wealth of knowledge I will sometimes get great input and a lot of good ideas. I sometimes also find that some people here on AO often tend to judge a person by the questions they ask. This shuts down the average joe that knows nothing about anything. He will not post or ask a question or for an opinion because he has seen others get shut down so quickly.

I asked for input and ideas and you gave me an insult. If this were my Forum I would shut you down about as fast as you just tried to shut this thread down.

Wow you must have put a lot of thought into that reply I am floored.

And your a senior member here at AO?

Sorry if I set you up but you asked for it!

If you have a shallow minded remark to make to a person do it with a PM not in public where you intimidate others into not posting! You can at least let a thread roll before you try and insult the poster.

Now as you insulted me turnabout is fair play, here is my insult to you...

I was fishing for an idiot and I caught a Tiger Shark weeeeee

Dude you just got slammed so hard you should have had a mouth piece!

There is no real position for the welder in this situation. The closest thing would be a consultant. Like say your backup tapes get corrupted, you would send them off to someone who will charge you out the a$$ to recover the data. I guess that would be the welder, welding your info back together. Am I getting graded on this? lol.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Originally posted here by sysmin770
    There is no real position for the welder in this situation. The closest thing would be a consultant. Like say your backup tapes get corrupted, you would send them off to someone who will charge you out the a$$ to recover the data. I guess that would be the welder, welding your info back together. Am I getting graded on this? lol.
    A++ Thanks for answering in a constructive manner, I was posed this question and I was offended by the way he worded it hehe. But I think the same thing, and some teams have a member that would do this for them. I dig being part of a team it gives me a chance to learn new things in which I knew nothing about. I am part of a team and my goal is to learn everything that each team member has to offer. I know it will take me years to do this because we all have a different focus but I am still willing to try.

Well I guess you could break it down into even more sub divisions. The shop owner hires the mechanic. But this mechanic can only work on domestic cars. When the shop owner is confronted with fixing a honda, he know has to hire a mechanic for fixing foreign cars. Neither one of the mechanics knows how to fix body work, so the shop owner hires a person who specializes in taking the dent out of my rolled over jeep The shop owner has to know enough about each field in order to make sure he isn't hiring complete idiots, but there is no way he can specialize in everything.

In the IT industry the Head Admin knows a little bit about everything, and also knows how to smooze with the non IT bosses. He then in turn hires someone who specializes in windows machines, someone who specializes in Unix machines, and someone who specializes in Running Cable. Now the Head Admin knows enough about all of these things to make sure his employees arn't complete idiots, (hopefully) but also is aware that he can't know everything.

This was writte smoke free, but it would have been more enjoyable the other way

DeaLamb

One thing I forgot to mention was that I wanted to be a mechanic in highschool. I personally find network security much more entertaining. Lol.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Originally posted here by Deaflamb
    Well I guess you could break it down into even more sub divisions. The shop owner hires the mechanic. But this mechanic can only work on domestic cars. When the shop owner is confronted with fixing a honda, he know has to hire a mechanic for fixing foreign cars. Neither one of the mechanics knows how to fix body work, so the shop owner hires a person who specializes in taking the dent out of my rolled over jeep The shop owner has to know enough about each field in order to make sure he isn't hiring complete idiots, but there is no way he can specialize in everything.

In the IT industry the Head Admin knows a little bit about everything, and also knows how to smooze with the non IT bosses. He then in turn hires someone who specializes in windows machines, someone who specializes in Unix machines, and someone who specializes in Running Cable. Now the Head Admin knows enough about all of these things to make sure his employees arn't complete idiots, (hopefully) but also is aware that he can't know everything.

This was writte smoke free, but it would have been more enjoyable the other way

DeaLamb
    rIGHT oN!

I agree, the person who challenged me with the post I made was trying to tell me why he was so great, that he knew everything and I told him in short I believe in myself as well but a team is what makes it all happen. I also told him I would never try and say that I had all the answers or that I had most of the answers because I do not and I depend on others. Sort of like folks here on the forum depend on the AO members input.

This all started over SNORT configs, he said that I said I knew everything about SNORT. I said I did not and it evolved into the question he proposed to me... The POST I made hehe. I offered a solution that would have worked and he did not like the outcome. I said I did not know of any other way and then it was on a roll lol.....

BRB gonna pack a bowl!

PEACE

Tiger Must BE Writing Something GOod!

CAN I GET A HELL YES FROM ALL THE SMOKERS?

I am watching the clock and TigerSHark is taking a long time to reply hehe... Must be some excellant ********... I cant wait he is gonna mow me down. He is a tuff one and a senior here comes folks.. meanwhile give me a hell yes if you smoke!

Originally posted here by sysmin770
    One thing I forgot to mention was that I wanted to be a mechanic in highschool. I personally find network security much more entertaining. Lol.
    I also tried it for a while when I was going to Technical School, but I was going to School with grease on me and was getting in trouble for it, I switched to moving furniture.

PEACE