Knoppix
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knoppix

Knoppix

I decided to mess around w/ Knoppix, so far it seems pretty sweet, detects everything great. It boots right into Kde, I don't get the Kmenu, though, just icons and the browser window w/ an error message saying it can't read the cd. If I try to change directories in the browser it freezes up. I can't close the window and I can't open a terminal to kill it by pid b/c I don't have the kmenu. Imma try booting into gnome or WM w/ the 'cheat codes', but thought I'd ask here, too. Maybe I just have a fried d/l. Thnx.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

I would check your image. Knoppix is pretty solid. I would guess that the problem is with the disk or your cdrom drive. Maybe burn another copy and try again.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Yeh that's what I figured, I'm just a lazy butt, don't want to d/l it again. Was hoping someone else might have run into the same thing . . .

Elite Hacker
    I've always had trouble with burning ISO images. The first time I burned knoppix I couldn't even get into KDE. It said I didn't have enough RAM(which I did), but I think it was just screwed up. I would say that your download is corrupted or there was a problem in the burning process. If everything was burnt and downloaded properly, it should work just fine.

edit
    sysmin, I use nero, but it just seems to have problems with burn ISO images. I think it is just the computer and hardware, not the software.

I have always had luck with Nero. It has always been rock solid no matter what burner I was using. I personally wouldn't use anything else for important stuff.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

sysmin770: I'd agree with that!

bludgeon: Check the md5sum of the iso you downloaded (if you haven't already,) it should tell you if
    the image is good or bad.

Yeah, md5 checks out, tried reburning the image, I'm using Nero too. Still didn't work, guess I'll try to d/l it again. Might as well d/l another while I'm at it too. Thnx for the suggestions.

Elite Hacker
    If your going to download another copy, you might as well go for knoppix-std. i was fooling around with it the other day, and I really like it. Either one I really like, but knoppix-std is packed with tools. You can get it from http://www.knoppix-std.org
    Good Luck.

didnt they relised a new version of knopix few days ago did anyone tryd it any major changes ? or something sorry if its a newb question
    Un Seen But Well Heard Of

I have a copy on CD and the only problem is that the desktop background doesn't load properly most of the time. It's a bit slow, but other than that it's really good. I always have an operating system available, even if my hard drives melt.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!