Thread: Can't access FTP

Can't access FTP

Using the xinet.d FTP server, I can't manage to access my FTP server from outside the network. Anyone on the University network can connect and successfully log-on to it, but everyone outside the network can't manage it.

I'm not sure if it's the fault of the school's proxy that is stopping me from doing this or what. I do know that the IP Address that's displayed to many other computers does not match my internal one, which seems like to be the cause of the problem.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? The IT Department here is notoriously stupid, and hasn't helped. Their idea of increased security is to take apart the network, so they could be causing the problem, and I doubt they'll be any help.

If anyone can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.

You'll never be able to let people outside the University network access your ftp. You are on an internal network that that has probably one IP address associated with it by means of NAT, this is how most universities and colleges do it around here.

INTERNET -- ROUTER -- INTERNAL NETWORK -- YOUR COMPUTER.

If it were a network you had control over, you could do port forwarding or set-up a DMZ. However, since the university would frown on you allowing FTP access to people, I'm sure they aren't going to do that. Most post-secondary institutions have it in the TOS that you sign when you move into res. that you can't have servers and such. You could call and ask the IT dept very nicely if they'll set-up port forwarding for you, but the odds are they will just laugh at you and possibly start to monitor your connection more closely.

I figured as much. ::Sigh:: Thought it might be worth asking about.

Would it be possible to set-up a tunnel connection with an outside server? A friend of mine once managed to do this.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

You can do an http tunnel through port 80, but be warned, college admins really don't like data being served out of their network. And I assure you that if you are serving out a lot of stuff constantly you are going to wake up one morning without a network connection.

If you want to have backup files (like documents and pictures) start an apache server and add an .htaccess with a .htpasswd to it. Check out this link:

http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/l...pachebasic.htm

and tell you what, go back in that link and read the whole document. It will answer any linux networking question you will have for a while.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

I don't have a lot of traffic, it will mostly be for myself or my close friends. I'll play it safe and check with the IT Department first. Thanks for the idea Lansing.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

My guess is that your IT department will probably scream just before saying "NO!"

Unfortunately, it will open up some potential problems for them letting you do that :/

.: Aftiel

I don't expect much from them, honestly. I know better than that. I realize it would probably interfere with their own FTP server and violate their security if they allowed people to get access to my FTP server.

Can't hurt to try, now can it?
    www.ADigitalPimp.com