Thread: New Trojan horse

New Trojan horse

New Trojan horse poses as smut 25 November, 2003

http://www.sophos.co.uk/virusinfo/articles/sysbug.html

Saucy email distributes new Sysbug Trojan horse, warns Sophos

Sophos, a world leader in anti-virus and anti-spam protection for businesses, has received several reports of a new Trojan horse - Sysbug (Troj/Sysbug-A). Distributed via a saucy email, this Trojan horse is disguised as an attachment promising naked pictures. If run, Sysbug allows hackers to gain unauthorised remote access to affected computers.

The email arrives with the subject line 'Re[2] Mary' and contains the following text:

"Hello my dear Mary,

I have been thinking about you all night. I would like to apologize for the other night when we made beautiful love and did not use condoms. I know this was a mistake and I beg you to forgive me.

I miss you more than anything, please call me Mary, I need you. Do you remember when we were having wild sex in my house? I remember it all like it was only yesterday. You said that the pictures would not come out good, but you were very wrong, they are great. I didn't want to show you the pictures at first, but now I think it's time for you to see them. Please look in the attachment and you will see what I mean.

I love you with all my heart, James."

"This Trojan horse has been spammed out en masse in an attempt to hit as many people as possible," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "No matter what provocative pics an email may promise, computer users need to think twice before opening an unsolicited attachment. Simply put: if your name isn't Mary, and you didn't have unprotected sex with a guy called James the other night, what on earth are you doing even thinking of opening the attachment? You really shouldn't be surprised if you and your computer end up being unpleasantly compromised."

http://www.integratedmar.com/ECLbrie...m=BRI112503-05

http://news.zdnet.co.uk/internet/sec...9118109,00.htm

Dr_Evil

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Simply put: if your name isn't Mary, and you didn't have unprotected sex with a guy called James the other night, what on earth are you doing even thinking of opening the attachment? You really shouldn't be surprised if you and your computer end up being unpleasantly compromised."
    Amen......

But humans are an inquisitive lot...... Even when they think it might offend or gross them out.... They still gotta take a quick peek......

Social engineering at it's finest.......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Ya well what's funnier (as pointed out in one of the mailing list) is the lack of attention to detail. The email is "addressed" to Mary but the infected file is called wendynaked.jpg.exe . Like... hello?!
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ms. M: But I thought James might have been cheating on me so I went ahead and opened it.......
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Right. And why would James be stupid enough to send a nekkid pic to his present fling?

Users do not read anything. They just get excited that a) they received email b) it has an attachment, therefore must be legit c) oh, it's a picture of someone naughty.. should I? shouldn't I? No one's looking... <insert evil grin here> ... Let's see who screwed up sending this email out..

It doesn't surprise me that people would open this email in many ways. Yes, they should be more careful. Yes, they should read the fine print.

But they don't. They don't care. They are curious. They want to gossip about "James" in the office who's involved with some chickie named "Mary" and another named "Wendy". Human nature is to be a rubbernecker.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Ms. M:

Human nature is to be a rubbernecker
    And that's why the human is usually the weakest link in any security scheme..... They can't get past that "nature" thingy and actually think for themselves.....<sigh>

And that's why the human is usually the weakest link in any security scheme..... They can't get past that "nature" thingy and actually think for themselves....
    I'll fix the problem...

See, all taken care of. You are right, as usual. Even though companies spend tons of money on security software and consulting to create policies, not everybody is smart enough to realize they are being used. And chances are they will continue to be used in the same way.

-Cheers-

yeh well right.... I have a friend James, he was seeing Wendy, and now is seeing Mary also a good friend of mine..

And knock me over with a smelly fish .. this eMail turns up with pix of what I think is them in a threesome.. I know Wendy enjoyed a bit of that .. so what the heck.. lets see if it is what I expect......droooool drooool

hey and by the way that pron Video/pix of "Snow white and the Seven Dwarfs".. I could never get that little thing to work.. and now this one won't either.. now why is that...

Hey and I got an email also telling me Norton is as crappy as ever and I should delete some virus files that maybe... dambed they are.. in my computer.. And after I delete them I should empty the rubbish bin.. now thats silly but I'll do it because Billy-Bob knows about these things.. heck he can get to the good pron sites in 2 clicks flat..

ANd Bloody hell Bill.. where is that bloody cheque I am due for all those tracked emails you and A-Hole-L sent out.. I may have to charge you interest soon.. Billionair or not.. a deal is a deal.. well thats what the email said..

I loved those wonderful fireworks I recieved in 1999.. yep it was a happy 1999..

How many checked their computers before going to bed on the morning of 1-1-00? now be honest..

The Y2K Bug/pending disaster WAS the Best social engineering fraud yet... a real issue that needed to be dealt with that was blowen out of all proportions..
    How about "Time Dilation Effect"? any one get that one...

Cheers.. (looking for a new) Undies
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr