Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help Virus!

Help Virus!

I am running XP Pro with ZoneAlarm and Norton. I booted up my computer and it shows last Norton update as 3/10/1999 (basically something w/1999) and when I try to update it claims that it is up to date. When I virus scan I get a clean computer. Is there a new virus? Me stupid?

-Cheers-

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    What version of Norton's is it? Is it still updatable? (some AV manufacturers, IIRC, have some version they will not support any more). Have you checked the date on your computer? Have you checked the AV files themselves and their dates (you should be able to see the .dat file and check it's date -- could be just a display error)
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

What version of Norton's is it? Is it still updatable? (some AV manufacturers, IIRC, have some version they will not support any more). Have you checked the date on your computer? Have you checked the AV files themselves and their dates (you should be able to see the .dat file and check it's date -- could be just a display error)
    I think that it is relatively old. However I updated it only a few days ago and it still worked. They system time and date are set correctly. I'll check the .dat files when I get home. Thanks.

Also, could you/someone PM the link to the topic about reducing the amount of bandwidth reserved by Windows. My cable connection is having issues about slowness and it is not the provider because all other computers on the network are doing fine

-Cheers-

Who are you... Oh, now I remember. Thanks memory. And MsMittens

-Cheers-

Hi,

Boot in safe mode, then run your Norton

Get Spybot Search & Destroy and Ad-Aware 6.0 update and run them, in safe mode also

Post us how you get on...........I think that you might be infected?

Good luck

Re: Help Virus!

Originally posted here by PM8228
    I am running XP Pro with ZoneAlarm and Norton. I booted up my computer and it shows last Norton update as 3/10/1999 (basically something w/1999) and when I try to update it claims that it is up to date. When I virus scan I get a clean computer. Is there a new virus? Me stupid?

-Cheers-
    (suggestion) Try to run a free AV like AVG www.grisoft.com and see if anything comes up then go back to your regular AV. Sometimes Viruses/Trojans will damage your tools and will effect how run and update.

Fact:
    "There are about 60,000 viruses known for Windows, 40 or so for the Macintosh, about 5 for commercial Unix versions, and perhaps 40 for Linux. Most of the Windows viruses are not important, but many hundreds have caused widespread damage.

Remeber never run on Root/admin

From the date that you gave, your copy of NAV could be Norton AntiVirus ver. 6 (2000).
    You really might want to make sure.

If it's a registered version, email Symantec. It may be a bad or duplicate key causing it to not allow you to update it.

-sbg

SexyBadGirl,

If he is using NAV 6.0 (2000), I doubt if the virus definition files can be updated using LiveUpdate. If PM8228 uses Norton's Intelligent Updater, he might have a chance of updating the definitions.

He will have to remember that ver. 6.0 does't have the Script Blocking feature.
    The first version of NAV to have that feature was ver. 7.0 (2001)