Thread: Disk Keeper Ver. 8, Thumbs up for Thumbs down.

Disk Keeper Ver. 8, Thumbs up for Thumbs down.

We are trialing this version out. There seems to be issues with the remote control portion and with reporting. Anyone else have these issues (under Xp Pro environment)? We are considering purchase for 250 users, but things are not going well with it.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

I've had issues with Diskkeeper on an NT4 environment. It will not run on NT4TSE.

Diskeeper didn't work well for us in a Win2k environment. We switched to Winternals Defrag Manager.

http://www.winternals.com/

What is the advantage to spending money on an outside tool that comes with Windows XP and 2000? No flame, valid question since I haven't looked at it on the new boxes beyond NT?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

In my case with over 350 machines, 1 Admin, and 1 PC Tech it made life much easier to perform hardware maintenance. Trying to get the users to perform any kind of maintenance on a PC is inviting disaster.

I have had experience with diskkeeper & windows. The secret is how you partion your hd.

The Iceman Cometh
    I've personally had terrific experiences with Diskeeper 8. In my business, I have Diskeeper Admin. running on my deployment server, which I use to control the client versions on the Windows 2000 and Windows XP workstations and the enterprise versions on the other servers. They've really improved the speed over 7, and, if you're working on it locally, the interface is drastically improved. Just my 2 cents.

AJ

Avden,
    You're saying that this 'truly' needs to run from a server?
    Cheif1,
    I'll check out winternals.
    There are many rewarding oppurtunities awaiting composure from like minds and great ideas. It in my objective to interconnect great things.

The Iceman Cometh
    You're saying that this 'truly' needs to run from a server?
    Not at all. I just found it easier to manage everything from a single location and deploy new installations of Diskeeper to newly installed workstations. The main reason I opted for the server solution was because I wanted to be able to change when the workstations are defragmented without having to go to the local machines. Also, I like the detailed reports I can read on the server, and I find it useful to receive server alerts when Diskeeper finds a problem on a specific workstation. I used Diskeeper 7 without any of these features and while it was still an excellent defragmenter, it was tedious configuring individual workstations when necessary.

AJ