Thread: nmap question

nmap question

hi 2 all! does nmap supports proxies? i've machine A running windows and connected to the internet by ADSL. i have machine B running linux and connected to machine A via a ethernet pci adaptor. machine A runs PROXY +, which supports http proxy, ftp proxy, ftp gateway, telnet gateway, socks, udp (uni and bi) and tcp mapped links, and cascading. is it possible to run nmap from machine B (not just to scan my own lan)? if not, do u know any similar app that will do? thanks.

consoleknight

Elite Hacker
    I think thehorse13 can answer your question. I believe he put something in his tuts about being able to use an ftp proxy so that it looks like your scan is coming from that ftp server. I think it was nmap tut #3 or 4. You may want to have a look.

thanks h3r3tic! i'll give a try and tell u how it went.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    The answer is certainly, yes. Please see my tuts on NMAP in the tutorials forum.

Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

well, i tried:
    nmap *v *sV *o *b 10.0.0.1:4421 -p 22 (target ip), here 10.0.0.1 is the machine running the proxy, and i tried connecting through port 21 and port 4421 (ftp gateway), but i got the following message:
    Failed to resolve given hostname/IP: *v. Note that you can't use '/mask' AND '[1-4,7,100-]' style IP ranges. and a similar message but with *sV replacing *v. what can i do now? thanks in advance.

Your syntax is incorrect. Check the tutorial one more time.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

ok, i've tried again (it seems links interprets * as -), it worked but i get this message:
    Your ft bounce server doesn't allow privileged ports, skipping them.
    And you didn't want to scan any unprivileged ports. Giving up.
    what is this about, how can i scan unprivileged ports? thanx 4 your patience!

Try using the decoy or idle scan instead. I'm sure you will have much better luck.

idle scan worked just fine. thanks thehorse13! see u around.

consoleknight