Thread: Firewall Conflict?

T3h Ch3F

Firewall Conflict?

Is it possible the reason I have been beating my head against a wall is that I have have a firewall conflict between, G4 Powerbook, with IP. FW. Extentions, to Westell DSL Modem, and my Air port? I am having serious slow downs.

Please advise.

BTW. It is litterally impossible to get one person in a Tech. support call that will not hang up when I try and tell them the problem. \\

Edit: I am running OSX. Jaguar.

I have not ecountered this with an ethernet conn direct to the book.

lol

Well I think what might be happening, is the connection is being filtered, and your firewalls can't support a fast enough throughput.

By this I mean your if your air port has a FW on then its filtering all traffic coming through. Now a firewall has limitations on how much it can filter. So say you have e 5 Mb connection, but you FW can only handle 1Mb then your only gonna get 1Mb of bandwith. So if you have two firewalls then that might be enought to slow it down.

Either that, or you have some interferance with your wirless network.

and on the tech support thing, I doubt it.
    =

T3h Ch3F

Cheyenne

The issue with the Tech. support revolves around my ISP, the will not adress issues with my Airport. And Mac has not answered my Emails.

I guess my question is, which FW. Should I disable.

I'll tell you what I would do before disabling a firewall though.

Since you already ran a cable straight from your modem to your box and didn't have any problems, then I'm willing to say that its a interfearance problem with your wireless network. You have any halogen lights in the house? Those can cause some problems with wireless networks.
    =

T3h Ch3F

hehe

I actuall though you were making fun of me untill I looked into it.

Thanks Cheyenne.

http://www.kevinboone.com/diy.html

The answer is yes I have many Halogen spots in my house.

As far as the Techhies. hanging up on me it is more than likely becaouse on many occasions I am a drunken babbling idiot.

More than likely, thats your problem.

Good luck. lol

Heres some other devices that may cause some interference to. 2.4 GHz cordless phones, microwave ovens, public hotspots, and 802.11b wireless LANs.
    =

Yah, try different channels, see if that helps. Another issue that I've had with my WiFi set up has been solve through Frimware updates. I didn't have the cash for an actual Airport base station, instead I opted for the D-Link DI-614+, but seriously, one of the updates for the D-Link changed everything. It was like a miracle.

So, check out the firmware number on your Airport station, and see if there is an update. Also make sure that Jaguar is up to date, and that the Airport software is recent. I've been having really good luck with my set up.

Dhej
    The owl of Minerva spreads its wings only with the falling of dusk. -Hegel

T3h Ch3F

Thanks

Thanks Dhej, I did as you suggested.

Get some good religion from Bad Religion.