Thread: NetCat

NetCat

I downloaded a Windows version of NetCat, and for some reason, it doesn't seem to work. I opened it, and typed a few stuff in the command line, and then pressed enter. I wait for a few seconds, and a message comes up, and right after, even before I get a chance to read the message, the window closes by itself. Is there an explanation for that? Thanks.

NetCat is a console based app. Open your console (command or cmd depending on your version of Windows). Then run netcat and the associated commands/options. If you get an error this way you will be able to see it. I'm guessing it couldn't resolve the host or open the port you attempted to connect to, something along those lines.

netcat

if running xp, try going to start,run, then type command and then netcat, had the same problem myself once before. for some reason i couldn't get it to work under cmd, hope that helps.

When you say that you typed some stuff in the command line, are you referring to an actual command prompt or are you referring to the Run command from Windows? If you are trying this from the Run command, you need to follow the advice HTRegz gave ya...

Also, just a thought, but where did you get your download from? The best place to get it from is here: http://stake.com/research/tools/network_utilities/

This download is from @stakes' website and should be trusted - I'm just wondering if you had obtained a 'hacked' copy or something...
    - Maverick

Lightbulb do it though the command prompt urself

The problem here is that when you execute a DOS application by using explorer (double clicking on the file), the command prompt window closes as soon as the program is done so you dont even have time to read the syntax error.

you need to open the command prompt urself, execute net cat and then check out which parameters u need to pass.

thats it!

Yes, it sounds to me like you tried start>Run and then typed it in there. That would produced the same result. The others are right, you need to run netcat from the command prompt. You are running xp/2000 you might want to throw it in your system32 directory depending on what you want to do with it. It's just an idea.
    Sysmin Sys73m47ic
    -The Hacker Pimps
    -Development Team {FuxorWRT}
    http://www.AntiOnline.com/sig.php?imageid=563

Thanks guys! I got it working now. I just had to open the program from command.