Thread: Assistance needed please...

Assistance needed please...

Dear all,

I am new to this forum and this is the first time I am posting here, wanting to get some assistance from any helpful person.

I am currently working on a project on computer viruses. I have selected a recent case of Simon Vallor, the author of GoKar, Redesi-B & Admirer viruses. I am paying particular interest on the Admirer virus hence required some expertise on this. Could anyone able to guide me to any article(s) that wrote on this virus? I need to know the technical details of how this virus works, especially how it managed to attached the virus in the email attachment and forward to all the contacts in the address book of the infected computer.

All kinds of assistance and help are welcome and thanks in advance.

Try google and you are bound to find many articles on this case....
    See, I found this article already with google...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/2681675.stm
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

To MemorY & n01100110:

Thank you so much.....I'll go thru the articles now.

Guys,

I have read through the articles....more question pop out after reading

So what exactly is this "MAPI messaging"? Is it a program in our OS or is it a program attached in the virus?

Originally posted here by puzzlefreak
    Guys,

I have read through the articles....more question pop out after reading

So what exactly is this "MAPI messaging"? Is it a program in our OS or is it a program attached in the virus?
    This should give you some idea.

MAPI is a Microsoft API that helps ensure system independence for messaging applications. It has become widely supported in the industry. MAPI provides a layer of functionality between applications and underlying messaging systems, helping developers create products that are compatible with a wide range of systems and platforms. MAPI is often called "messaging middleware," and, like other middleware products, it helps to promote the creation of products and speed their release to market.

The MAPI architecture has three layers. At the top are MAPI-compliant applications. In the middle is the MAPI subsystem, which has programming interfaces and a service provider interface. The MAPI service providers are at the bottom. They include store providers, message transfer agents, and address book providers. MAPI clients communicate through the MAPI subsystem to MAPI service providers. The MAPI service provider performs the requested action for the client and passes the action back through the MAPI subsystem to the MAPI client. It is only necessary to make a client application MAPI compliant in order for the application to access the service provider functionality. A specific interface is not required for each provider. This is similar to the way in which applications that use the Microsoft Windows printing subsystem do not require drivers for every available printer.
    Cheers:
    DjM

now I got it....thanks

That's one of the things I love most about the internet...you get a starting point, you start researching, and 100 google pages later you are in a completely different place then where you thought you were going...

I would encourage you to read through some of the "searching" oriented tutorials on this site..they are informative, and will help you...then when you get stuck, and can't find information, come back and ask..someone will give you another "keyword" that will keep you busy for another 100 pages or so..

Believe me, I'm not trying to give you crap about asking questions, I'm just trying to help you avoid the "search google" responses you are bound to get...I think most everybody here likes a challenging question, and a chance to "show off" a little bit of knowledge...

But to paraphrase n01100110, Google is your friend. Good luck on your project...it sounds interesting..I would be interested in a tutorial or a thread about what you discover...