Thread: smtp question

smtp question

While browsing through smtp telnet ports I came across something that I am not yet familiar with. After I logged onto the smtp port all I was 220***************2***************************************************2*2. When I type anything it comes up with 500 HELO or EHLO command expected. Can anyone tell me what this is?

Elite Hacker
    read this: http://www.antionline.com/showthread...ghlight=telnet
    it says that because that is the first command you normally type when connected to the smtp port 25.

Just Another Geek

Re: smtp question

Originally posted here by electronaddict
    While browsing through smtp telnet ports I came across something that I am not yet familiar with. After I logged onto the smtp port all I was 220***************2***************************************************2*2. When I type anything it comes up with 500 HELO or EHLO command expected. Can anyone tell me what this is?
    You're telnetting to a mailserver (probably an Exchange server by the looks of it). Try to use some SMTP commands.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

You could also be passing through a Cisco PIX with the fixup for smtp turned on. First time I saw it it threw me for a loop too (if you mean all the **** and the commands acting strange)

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)