The holy grail of certifications?

Thread: The holy grail of certifications?

The holy grail of certifications?

This is a stupid question, but that's what happens when I have too much time on my hands...but here goes..

What is the absolute most elite of certifications one can get? I know pretty much anybody can get their A+ cert, heck, after looking through the study guide, I think I could even pass it, and I don't know crap...

When I meet a 4 star general, I know he/she has paid their dues, and has put their time in, and no matter what I think of them, they deserve my respect...

Using that analogy, I'm wondering what the certification equivalent of a 4 star general would be?

Memphis, TN
    I'd say if you could get all the Cisco exams passed, and all the *nix certs done then you would be a pretty knowledgeable computer dude.

However, just because you have boucous of certs doesn't mean that you know it. Anyone can past a test, but not everyone can actually configure something the correct way.

I was allways impressed with the MCSE , But Personally I think that Anyone who has put a serious effort into any reputable certification, passing or not , deserves at least some respect , and I only have a PhD.

Cheers and regards
    [gloworange]The Only Way to be Safe is To Never Be Secure. [/gloworange]
    Benjamin Franklin

Using that analogy, I'm wondering what the certification equivalent of a 4 star general would be?
    I doubt one becomes a 4 star general on a single certification.

The allready mentioned Cisco cert would look pretty nice I guess as are the sans certifications (
    A 'chief hacking officer' imo would also have an over-avarage understanding of various operating systems.
    MCSE is nice but is not aimed at security (even though there are some security exams you can take).

I dont think there is a single certification that would make you a 4 star hacker

St. Petersburg, FL
    IMHO the holy grail of certs would be the CCIE, just because of what is required to obtain it. But it's still not going to make you a 4 star hacker unless you only plan to hack Cisco stuff.

Like Cheyenne said, anyone can pass a test, but you need to understand the material, not just memorize it. I know people who have an assload of certs who probably couldn't configure a home LAN without 2 books and 3 people helping. I also know a highschool dropout who knows Linux as well as Torvalds (well, almost as well...).
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.