Thread: what version of linux?

what version of linux?

I was wondering what version of it would be best for someone completly new to it? I have the latest version of slackware on cd but i heard mandrake or redhat are more accessibly for beginners at it?

Heres your best options

Suse
    Red Hat, However Red Hat is no longer going to be distributing the Red Hat package anymore.
    Mandrake

I think I heard somewhere that Yellow Dog linux is a pretty accessible version of *nix.

Go to this website and look around.

www.linuxiso.org
    =

also i recommend that you read the threads that are posted under SIMILAR Threads. This topic has been cover several times.

*cough*suse*cough*
    and slackware

Whatever you do, don't use Mandrake. It's the only Linux distro I've ever used, and has caused me to detest most of the Linux world. Of course I can't speak for better distros (suse, etc) as I haven't used them.

It's funny that I keep posting stuff that other people on here have posted but it's good stuff. http://www.distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=cd My fav so far, suggested by heretic http://www.knoppix-std.org/ . Both of these link lead to Live CD's. Burn the ISO, keep the disk in the drive and BAM, you've got linux. If your going to go w/ a HD install, I would personally suggest FreeBSD http://mirrorlist.freebsd.org/FBSDsites.php . If you have a fast internet connection and some patience, you could try Gentoo http://www.gentoo.org/ it is an excellent distro that you build yourself for your machine architecture.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

You really are clueless, arent you. Don't you reelize this has been asked a hundred times in the last month and that a simple serch would turn up enuf ansers?

Jesus ****ing christ, I mean just look at the bottom of this thread. The top two similar threads are asking the same question you are.

And besides, this isn't a Linux site. This is a security site. Go to a Linux site to ask these stpuid dumb**** questions. Since youre obviusly too stupid to use a serch engine, try www.linuxquestions.org.

And one more thing...

GET A ****ING CLUE!

Originally posted here by Infinite_Loop
    You really are clueless, arent you. Don't you reelize this has been asked a hundred times in the last month and that a simple serch would turn up enuf ansers?

Jesus ****ing christ, I mean just look at the bottom of this thread. The top two similar threads are asking the same question you are.

And besides, this isn't a Linux site. This is a security site. Go to a Linux site to ask these stpuid dumb**** questions. Since youre obviusly too stupid to use a serch engine, try www.linuxquestions.org.

And one more thing...

GET A ****ING CLUE!
    Big words for someone to stupid to spell or spell check. "serch" "serch would turn up enuf ansers?," "reelize"
    lame stupid troll

ps. there is nothing wrong with mandrake, well other than their penchant for adding drake after every apps name.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

*sigh*

Originally posted here by Infinite_Loop

And one more thing...

GET A ****ING CLUE!
    Its amazing how many presumptions you can make about a persons intelligence from one post. I admit i should have checked the other threads but I was eager for an answer. Nice ending with the whole "GET A ****ING CLUE THING" btw, very dramatic indeed, really makes me respect your post.

enuf?serch?stpuid?reelize? I always found it funny when someone flames another person for being stupid then hasn't the intelligence to spellcheck their post in case they messed up and end up looking like a complete fool. Get a life n00b.