Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Busted....

Busted....

Wells Fargo burglary suspect caught - Stolen PC's recovered
    Idiot used stolen computer to log onto AOL...
    11-27-2003 08:13:27 AM CST -- By Sue McAllister for the Mercury News

Check out this link:
    http://www.siliconvalley.com/mld/sil...ey/7362537.htm

The monkey used the computer to log onto AOL... Uh... how do you spell "loser" ? But it does show how fast AOL and law enforcement officials can react to someone trying to log on to their network with a 'hot computer'. I wonder if Wells Fargo will send a token of the reward money to the IT and Security staff at AOL who made the bust possible ? That would make a nice Christmas gift...

Amazing on how dumb criminals are getting these days...

cheers
    creative

I read the article. The thing this "loser" did was log on to an AOL account with the victoms AOL user name and password. The computer itself being hot had nothing to do with the arrest, which is actually reassuring to me. I would find it disturbing if AOL could tell what actual physical machine I was trying to log on with. I don't believe in using stolen property and all that, but I also don't think that I should have to give every single piece of Info, (like hardware serial numbers) before logging on to use the interenet.

Secondly, I think you should think about this for a second. Obviously this guy made a really idiotic mistake by logging on using an AOL account. But why was it this that gave him away? This guy broke into a bank, stole computers and got away? There were no video cameras, alarm systems, finger prints, physical security devices for the computers? There was no other way for this guy to be caught? Maybe he isn't as stupid or such a loser as you made him out to be? Maybe his g/f sighned online while he was working at home depot

DeafLamb

White of the Concord police said Krastof was arrested after he allegedly logged on to America On line from his home on one of the stolen computers, using the computer owner's AOL account.
    I'm confused......when does anyone notify AOL that their computer has been stolen? Well, maybe he was trying to get on from a different computer at the same time. This 'story' has some major holes in it.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    LMFAO this guy obviously didn't realise that he was not 3li73 enough to pull this type of scam off.

cheers
    stacy....*

tsk tsk tsk....terrible...he just might had gotten away with it too...if it wasnt for his own stupidity...anyone who logs on to AOL , with a SAVED PASSWORD on a STOLEN COMPUTER (notice any intelligence patterns?) deserves to get caught...
    Maybe his g/f sighned online while he was working at home depot
    lol...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Hi,

There is software on the market that silently checks the line being used to make the connection. If the line changes, it silently calls a security centre or number you have given it, and reports the new phone number being used.

This works for desktops in fixed locations, but obviously not for mobile connections.

I wonder if there might not have been something like that at work here.

I do not see how AOL would detect a legitimate login with a legitimate stored password. Also what were Bank Employees doing with private AOL accounts?

I suspect that there might be a bit of a cover up to hide that true nature of their security arrangements

Cheers

haha
    speak your mind becuase those who matter don\'t mind and those who mind don\'t matter

Ugh. Do I have to teach these people everything? When stealing hardware, if it is a full computer, grab the valueable data, back it up on something, and format the damned thing! Lol, this is just sad. And sad still that I know how to do it

Ah well, I don't do stuff like this anyway, I just know how so that I can protect me and my friends and familly. Seriously though, you have to be a moron to steal a PC, then go home and use the account in it.

If I stole that damned thing, and had criminal intent, I would first back up all the valuable private data on a CD or Zip drive, and then search through once more for anything secure so I could get at it later on, then install some diagnostics tools I have to secure erase everything, then format and install another OS on it.

Let the above be a lesson to all who read this. If you use a laptop and travel alot, when you go to the bathroom, DO NOT let go of your laptop. If you have to go poop, put the laptop in there with you OUT OF REACH! Alt of criminals will go to air poorts, walk in the bathroom, see someone in the stall, grab the laptop, walk away, and your stuck with your pants down.

If you can, use SuSE Linux. They have alot of protection from things like this. Also the Encrypting File System helps out too. Back up everything you have that is important. Before taking your laptop or PC out of the house, encrypt or delete information you don't want people knowing. This way if it get's stolen, you can at least sleep at night while a new machine is sent to you.

Or, hell, if you are the adventurous type, place all credit card, social security number and bank card information in a folder on the desktop named "Private_StayOut".

well what confused me was the fact that if you break into a bank successfully, then why would you steal a computer and not everything in the vaults?
    Support your right to arm bears.

^^This was the first video game which i played on an old win3.1 box

White_Eskimo

That bit is easy...............he broke into the offices, not the vault or banking hall.

Cheers