Upgrade?

Thread: Upgrade?

The Recidivist

Upgrade?

I bought an old Dell from the pawn shop and I'm looking to upgrade the proc. I don't know what I can put in it and I can't get support because I am not the original owner.

So I am asking for some help. I need to know what proc I can put in. I know it took P2's and P3's but which?!

Thnx for the help.

Motherboard = Intel® Mobile 440BX PCIset

Dell support page for the laptop = http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/systems/ppun/en/index.htm

thnx in advance

hjack
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

Banned
    upgrade a dell laptop ? how much money is it worth to you to do it ?

I mean AFAIK, all the processors are wave soldered onto the motherboard.. so you'd have to order a whole motherboard.. not exactly the most economical thing to do after you've saved so much buying it at a pawn shop.. count yourself lucky that the previous owner hadn't password protected the bios..

edit : darn.. I just realized I forgot to include a handy spec link (which also has links for other aspects of your laptop) please click here

IMHO a waste of time and money

The MoBo supports PIIs of 233-300Mhz. I very much doubt if you would notice the difference, and the measurable performance improvement would be minimal. Even if such an upgrade were possible without special tools or replacing the MoBo?

I am guessing that it runs Win98? and comes with a 64Mb RAM strip? If this is the case, your biggest "win" would be to increase the RAM, as 64Mb is pretty minimal for Win98.

The secret to upgrading is "balance" and $value (cost/performance ratio). Your major problem is that you have a laptop, and they are really not designed with much "upgradability" in mind

I think jenjen more or less says it all:

upgrade a dell laptop ? how much money is it worth to you to do it ?
    Cheers

The Recidivist
    Hey, Thanks for the info guys. Wish I had thought this through a little more than I did. Live and learn eh?

Ryan
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche