problem with localhost web server
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: problem with localhost web server

problem with localhost web server

I have Win XP and am not able to get any web server running on localhost. I get Internal server error 500, nomater what server I try. It does not apear as though port 80 is open. Or a misconfig on my part.

I am on a small 2 computer network, and I am not sure if that could be afecting it, I noticed in adition to hosts.sam, hosts I also have hosts.ics and a lmhosts. my hosts does contain a localhost entry, and I disabled my firewall to see if that affected it. It seems to be something I am overlooking.

Can anybody lend me some guidence

Are you trying to connect to the server from the server itself, or the other computer?

Also, are you running home or professional? Win XP home will not IIS.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Elite Hacker
    If I understand correctly you can access it using the normal ip from either computer. You will just be able to access it with localhost from the computer with the server(just to clarify). That being said, I think it is just something in the configuration of the server. I have had this before. One thing I installed, I think it may have been a VNC server, asked me during the install if I wanted to allow access from the localhost IP. I have had things not allow access from localhost, and I have also had things only allow access to localhost. There should be some config tool for the server or a config file. Just check that out and see what you come up with. If you are able to access it with the LAN IP and not the localhost IP I wouldn't worry about it too much. Hope this helped.

it is XP Pro, Im trying to access localhost from the same computer the server is running on. But trying to conect via my local network address 192.168.0.1 on the other computer does not work either.

netstat -a reveals port 80 on localhost being closed. the web servers I was trying were apache, KeyFocus (www.keyfocus.net) and another one called Simple server from analogX.

keyfocus I had installed before on my 98 machine, and its configured to work out of box, but seems the problem is residing only on my XP machine.

It is baffeling me because of being able to set up servers before on 98 and now not on xp.

EDIT: I have tryed again from my client machine, as I noticed my XP machine is actualy 192.168.0.2 from my client's point of view, this worked, the page was able to load, however it still does not make sence why from my XP machine localhost is not accessable

I have that problem too, if I setup a webserver it's only accessible if I use the network IP adress/host name and not if I use localhost or 127.0.0.1, don't know why that is...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Is the host file correct? ie., is it able to properly identify itself in the hosts file

e.g,

# For loopbacking.
    127.0.0.1 localhost
    127.0.0.1 MsMittens.localhost MsMittens
    Also, is there potentially a firewall (IIRC there is one default in XP) blocking access locally? ie., having a rule set that prevents access from being obtained by a "localhost" address.

Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

With me? Hosts file is correct, I can ping localhost and 127.0.0.1 and there's no firewall in the way. Heck, I even can telnet to any webserver running locally but I can't connect to localhost or 127.0.0.1 with a browser (and I'm also not trying to connect to localhost through a proxy which also was a problem I had some year(s) ago)...
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    The only other option is the webserver's config file. Sometimes they need to be configured for localhost acceptence and/or ServerName acceptence.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

same with el-half, i disabled my firewall, my own and the xp one, but this made no difernce, and I can ping localhost. My host file contains a entery for localhost as 127.0.0.1, even if I try my computers name KELLY.mshome.net (mshome being my workgroup) I still cannot comunicate with the server, but my client machine can access the server.

This is a big problem for me as the web server I wish to use, has an admin interface only accessable through localhost, it can later be set to alow external access, but one must get in first, and my config file for the server is of no use, it already alows access to 127.0.0.1, and I added my client machine 192.168.0.69 but that was of no use, the client is locked out of the admin.

netstat does reveal a 0.0.0.0:80, and an entery for 127.0.0.1:9727 (my admin interface),

I can settle for apache, and set up a folder share of my www root directory, that is what im thinking now.