Thread: Security 101

Security 101

I appoligize if this was already posted. I know you guy and girls get fruestrated with questions like this. I tryed searching but haven't mastered that yet. My question is: How do I hook up two cpu's together to learn more about Computer security. I have two CPU running XP and want to simulate a internet connection with out going on line. Basicly I want to be able to scan each ones port and check vulnerbilities(without A internet connection).I also want to run current exploits to learn how they work.Plus I want to be able to use the ftp,telnet,smtp,fingerand other daemons. I guess I'm not sure were to start.....should I network them together or is their another way. Can this be done with just the telephone jack or only with a network card and cable. All info would be appreciated......THANKS
    Janine

If both computers have a network card, just get a crossover cable (Cat5), and manually assign each one an IP address. Congratulations, you have a LAN. You may have to jiggle some network settings, I'm still trying to remember back to when I used Windows.

As for the daemons, if you are using Windows, they are called services. As long as you have the services installed on your computer, all you have to do is make sure they are running. (Daemon is an evil Unix term.)
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

Let me help you
    searching but haven't mastered that yet
    (suggestion)Take a look at the Tutorial forum.

Thanks for your quick response. I thought thats what I should do but have never tryed it. I guess I'll try doing that now and see if I can get it to work. Thank You
    Janine

Using your retina

I have obtained a program which test for vunerabilitis called Retina Security scan, This thing hacks you and then reports back what it did, then all you have to do is look up the vunerability and try and hack yourself.

i havnt been sucessful yet in hacking myself

www.eeye.com or just look it up using any ed2k link proggie.