File that cannot be deleted

Thread: File that cannot be deleted

Lightbulb File that cannot be deleted

I have one friend with Windows XP system. He has the following problem:

He has a file named kickbanpro.exe on his desktop. I check the file and found it to be harmless as it is a mIRC addon and does not contain any harmful code. He can't delete/move/rename the file although he rebooted his computer several times.

What is the problem?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Maybe its coupled to a still running proces.

If it is in the list of running processes, kill it and try again to delete it.

Greetz
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Ok thanks anyway. He said he is able to delete it just now.

Maybe the program made some sort of changes to the registry and it loads up with windows, disable system restore, restart the computer in Safe mode and delete the file. . . and i would look for more info that i could provide you

I have this problem rather often. It seems that it happens more when I'm moving and altering large files. The more data I move around, create or delete - the more frequent and persistent the problem becomes. Typically a reboot fixes the problem. I'm totally unsure as to the cause (as I've got no processes that connect to empty folders ;-) ), but basically what happens is the folder or file will write itself as a "read only" file/folder and make itself immune to being changed. I suspect it's just a bug that windows has yet to address.

They'll probably just label it as a feature and call it some automated function. You know what they say, "a feature is just a bug with seniority."
    \"We change by the speed of the choices that we make.\"

Antionline Herpetologist
    Actually, I've found that very often when windows explorer refuses to delete a file, a deleting it from the command ('DOS') prompt does the trick.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

AO French Antique News Whore
    Try this this small utilites!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

There is one option not listed here.."Safe Mode"..
    most reliable operation of spybot s&d (and for a single pass operation 99.9% of the time)
    Best for virus removal.. (that is those that don't require a DOS approach .. that is using ntfsdos.)
    even a run of Defrag (any windaz or generic version) helps inprove results if run once in a while in safemode..

... hmmm rather interesting..
    Just checked on who have downloaded SDK's Copylock.. seem I have already downloaded this file.. I know I haven't been well lately but do i have to add multiple personalities to the list now???.. hmmm nah not found on any of my machines.....
    WGaF

Cheers (smellie) undi3s
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr