Thread: An idear...

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar

An idear...

What about having a specific forum on security related tutorials and one for non-security related material?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

I'll second this idea. It would make things easier to find, especially for newbies like me.

Elite Hacker

Re: An idear...

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    What about having a specific forum on security related tutorials and one for non-security related material?
    Yes, I think we need to do that for all security forums, just have a duplicate forum except take off the security part. Right now I just post my questions in GCC because that is really the only non-security place to ask questions. I guess to duplicate all of them would be a lot of forums, but we need to do something. A second tutorial forum would be a start, I would say more than half of the tuts are not security related, more about how to program and how to make a web page and stuff. Good suggestion.

Yes, but who's going to reindex all the tutorials? There's over a thousand of them...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Yes, but who's going to reindex all the tutorials
    That's easy enough. I could do it. Take me an afternoon but I'd do it.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head

More power to you. On behalf of all of AO, I would like to thank you for volunteering.

However, we must be careful not to shift the focus of this site away from computer security. I fear this would begin to happen if too many non-security forums were introduced. I don't mean to be a prude, but there are plenty of other places on the net to ask non-security related questions.

Actually, hey, that's a good idea. Put a sticky somewhere linking to other forums to ask questions unrelated to security, like "What Linux distro should I use?" or "My <insert hardware item here> is having problems. What should I do?"; linuxquestions.org and overclockers.com.au are good examples. A lot of other places are a better resource for such things, anyway. I'd write up a list for it, but I don't know of enough places.

So yes, I think it's a wonderful idea, but we need to ensure that not too many non-security questions make it on this board.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

But that's the point. I'd rather see tuts on security on the front page than non-security items. If tutorials are seperated it makes it easier to find the security tutorials. I don't have to wade through all the other ones. I can go right to the point.

In fact, as I thought about your query about moving the tutorials, it occurred to me that it's going to be easier to move the security tutorials away from the non-security ones since there are fewer of them compared to the non-security tutorials (IMHO).

I think it's a great idea as well MsMittens, and have created the non-security related tutorials forum as requested! And thanks for taking the time to reindex them!
    Thanks,
    intmon

Hehe.. No problem. I suggested it so I should do the chore of moving them. But that's ok. Just as a heads up for everyone it will take me a bit of time as I'm getting into crunch for school (although next week I should have some more time).

I have another suggestion that I put forth in a Bugs thread but might be more appropriate here. It would be good to see who is interested in this.