SMTP problem

Thread: SMTP problem

SMTP problem

When i send to "rcpt to:" command the server sends back the message "554 <"the recipients email addy here">: Recipient address rejected: Relay access denied". What causes this and how do i fix it?

First of all is this your mail server ? If not then the message means that the owners of that system do not want people on the outside using their server as a relay server..This type of mail server relaying is popular amongst spammers..And second of all the command goes like this rcpt to: person@person.com or whatever..You have to include the e-mail address in the same command..
    "Serenity is not the absence of conflict, but the ability to cope with it."

Elite Hacker
    You can't fix this. It is to prevent unauthorized use and it is there for a reason. If it were your server you could fix it by turning relaying on in the config. Most servers you telnet to will give you this message. If you try your isp, for instance you might be able to get it to work. Basically it is to prevent misuse and you shouldn't try to get around it.

h3r3tic is right. For practice though, try connecting to your ISP's SMTP server and sending the message from there. It should recognize you as a valid user and relay the mail for you. Assuming it does recognize you, this is what the session should look like. This is a session between me and my ISP's SMTP server. Addresses have been sanitized.

open xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx 25
    Trying xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx...
    Connected to smtp.domain.com
    Escape character is '^]'.
    220 smtp.domain.com ESMTP server (InterMail vM.5.01.06.05 201-253-122-130-105-20030824) ready Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:02:09 -0500
    helo upin.heaven
    250 domain.com
    MAIL FROM:<god@upin.heaven>
    250 Sender <god@upin.heaven> Ok
    RCPT TO:<user@address.com>
    250 Recipient <user@address.com> Ok
    DATA
    354 Ok Send data ending with <CRLF>.<CRLF>
    This is a test.
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    250 Message received: 20031130210246.FBVN5379.domain.com@upin.heaven
    quit
    221 smtp.domain.com ESMTP server closing connection
    Connection closed by foreign host.

And the email I recieved looked like this:
    Return-Path: <god@upin.heaven>
    Received: from upin.heaven ([xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]) by smtp.domain.com (InterMail vM.5.01.06.05 201-253-122-130-105-20030824) with SMTP id <20031130211019.FGMM5379.domain.com@upin.heaven> for <user@address.com>; Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:10:19 -0500
    Message-Id: <20031130211019.FGMM5379.domain.com@upin.heaven>
    Date: Sun, 30 Nov 2003 16:10:35 -0500

This is a test.
    The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Elite Hacker
    I'm assuming that is your own server striek. I tried to setup an smtp server once, and for some reason my account at my isp wouldn't accept mail from it. It kept saying something about it coming from a residential area. I'm assuming it knew from the ip that it was one of its users ip addresses. But the email sent just fine to my yahoo account. If you have an email account at your isp, you can try to telnet there on port 25, that is the only time I have gotten this to work on a server besides mine. I think that since the ip's are almost a match down to the forth number, then you don't get the relaying error.

That was a telnet session with my ISP's server which I am assigned to use. The "mail from:" and "helo" commands are what I actually used.

On occasion, I have been able to find open relays from where I was able to send forged email. They are few and far between and never stay up for long.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!