Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disrespectful Video Games

Disrespectful Video Games

you could say this belongs in the my country tis of thee thread but its more general so i have started a new thread.

have many of you seen the recent Medal of Honor commercials??
    this applies for many video games, but the commercial goes a bit over the top (in my opinion) in disrespect toward our countrys soldiers. dont get me wrong, im not sayin the game sucks or anything but the commercials for it with the dramatic music and the intense fighting and all is kinda disrespectful toward the soldiers who fought in the war and their relatives and all. I mean honestly its a game why do they haveta make the commercials all dramatic and make it look like the D-day scene out of Saving Private Ryan????? It seems like every new WW2 game has to look like something out of some intense dramatic movie. Its ok i think to make games related to real wars and stuff but to make them THAT dramatic and realistic is kinda evil, i mean the reason we play games is to take a break from reality is it not??? plz post any opinions on this
    Red Hot Chili Peppers

its a game why do they haveta make the commercials all dramatic and make it look like the D-day scene out of Saving Private Ryan?
    Because everyone else is. If they don't they won't sell video games. This is done to evoke an emotional response so you will remember it when you see the game on a shelf somewhere. Patriotism, especially in this day and age, can sell anything if you use it right. All the Canadians here will remember commercials for Molson Canadian. They worked, too.

Yes, we do play games to take a break for reality, but we also play games like these to play a part in a reality that we otherwise couldn't. It's as much a roleplaying game as it as a combat game. With these commercials, the marketers are trying to give you an idea of the reality (or fantasy) you will be playing a part in.

The sad part is that people buy into this corporate brainwashing.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Exactly what Striek said.

If they didn't do that, they wouldn't have as a big of a maket for their product.
    =

Are you saying that Saving Private Ryan is disrespectful to soldiers who fought in France during ww2? It certainly dramatizes and glorifies the war and events. I think the movie is a great entertainment medium to pass a few hours away from reality. Just like the game possibly does. Or are you against all war games? The thrill of a good game is exactly what they may attempt to portray with dramatic cinematic; to immerse oneself and pretend you are, or in this case, were there on the front helping.

Personally what really insult me on TV are the hourly commercials spewing the latest “reality” TV programs. They are varied and in my opinion, a direct insult on anyone with a decent IQ. (I do like the one’s that redecorate people’s apartments or yards…. Etc. so I am guilty to a degree.) I am referring to “others”.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I haven't tried the game, but the commercials sure make me want to shoot some nazis. Guess they've done their job

Reality shows suck, however everybody who says they do watches them. Personally, I don't see the appeal of watching gay men "redecorating" *cough* destroying *cough* other peoples houses. However, my remote disagrees and I always seem to end up wasting one more hour of my life.

TheRepublican: I have to agree with you on this one. Face it patriotism sells in this econamy, if its disrespectful then do not take a long look at some of our past "great" americans that have benifited form it. Hell for that matter why is it disrespectful for the game and not the movies? Entertainment is just entertainment.

Oh republican if my wife has her way I may end up wasting a day of my life on the afore mentioned show.
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

My remote will be ready for that one bballad Can't wait.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by bballad
    TheRepublican: I have to agree with you on this one.
    Yikes! First CXGJarrod now bballad! All I need now is to see a flying pig and I'll know I've lost it! Disrespectful or not, it is entertainment and Americans love it. Truly war is a terrible thing, but necessary in some cases for the greater good.

i agree war is defintly a terrible thing. all these war games are nothing like the actual war and what it was like. i personally love playing medal of honor rising sun on my ps2 buti understand why people would feel terrible because of how it makes our soliders fighting over in iraq look.

Patriotism may be selling, but it's just nationalism disguised in shiny clothes. Don't forget how it all starts...

As for Saving Private Ryan, I don't remember where I read that the D-Day scene was maybe the one realistic part of the movie. And nobody even tries to bring back memories of WWI [which to many was far more cruel and violent than WWII].

And nothing can even come close to depicting the real violence of a war.
    /\\