Thread: run "host -l" behind a proxy

run "host -l" behind a proxy

hi 2 all! i have machine A running a proxy (Proxy +) that supports http proxy, ftp proxy, ftp gateway, telnet gateway, tcp and udp (uni & bi directional) mapped links, cascading.
    machine A is connected to the internet, via ADSL. i have machine B connected to machine A via a ethernet card. when i type "host (blah blah)" everything goes fine. but when i do the same with "host -l (blah blah)" i get "communications error to 10.0.0.1#53: connection reset". 10.0.0.1 is machine A. so, i made a tcp and udp map link to my isp (which i had already set as my DNS), and all that done i get a time out error. any explanation or suggestion? thanx.
    consoleknight

edit: i made the tcp and udp mapped link to my isp on port 53, which i assume is the port "host" uses, though i'm not sure about that one.

I don't know exactly what's causing this problem, I've never experienced it myself. -l (when used with the host command) lists all of the hosts in a domain, but why would you be wanting to do this? If you're not using a server it may not be possible.

You might want to try using the -w or the -T commands as well as the -l, the -w would set it to wait forever, and the -T would tell the processor to enable TCP/IP (Useful with your mapping may-be?)

If you don't want to wait forever, use the -W command, that will allow you to tell it how long to wait.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com
    There is a ghost in the machine, and he is my friend.

thanx SonofGalen, i'll try it out. and concerning your question "why would i want to do this", i think one learns and discovers interesting things by trying, don't u agree? if i manage to set this straight, i'll let u know. thanx again!! see u around.

::Laughs softly:: Didn't mean it like that...sorry. In fact, I completely agree.

I meant to ask why would you want to use a seperate command to list all hosts when you're connected directly to one machine? Speaking of which...that might be the source of the problem. If you don't have Machine A set up as a server, it may not be able to use the -l modifier because of some small thing in the command structure...perhaps its looking for a regular network. I don't know. Just another thought.

Try using the -l modifier on other systems, including AO.com. Just to make sure that it'll work in general coming from your computer. It should, but if it doesn't, that's a definite warning sign.
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

the fact is i want to explore a subnet (remote of course! :-) ), and i thought the faster way was using the host command. do u know any other way to do it? (i'm running linux).
    thanx!

Okay. This may not actually be because of your proxy, then. Assuming the subnet is not one you set up, it is probably configured to thwart this sort of thing, as it poses a major security risk.

I did a check on my school's subnet, and here's what came up:

[maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host dburnet
    dburnet.ph1.resnet.schoolnet.net has address 10.31.162.90
    [maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host schoolnet.net
    schoolnet.net has address 10.0.2.5
    schoolnet.net has address 10.0.4.11
    [maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host -l schoolnet.net
    Host schoolnet.net not found: 5(REFUSED)
    ; Transfer failed.
    [maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host -l resnet.letnet.net
    Host resnet.schoolnet.net not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)
    ; Transfer failed.
    [maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host resnet.letnet.net
    resnet.schoolnet.net has address 10.0.2.80
    resnet.schoolnet.net has address 10.0.2.75

However, when I typed in the IP instead of the DNS...

[maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host resnet.schoolnet.net
    resnet.schoolnet.net has address 10.0.2.80
    resnet.schoolnet.net has address 10.0.2.75
    [maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host -l 10.0.2.75
    75.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer resnet2.resnet.schoolnet.net.

It also seems to make no difference if I use the -l for that or not. It displays the same thing:

[maccurdy@dburnet maccurdy]$ host 10.0.2.75
    75.2.0.10.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer resnet2.resnet.schoolnet.net.

I did, of course, change their address just in case. :-)

Many networks have the proxies and firewalls set up to avoid it.

So apparently the problem lies when the DNS is tries to resolve. Atleast for me.

Edit: Forgot to replace the school's real domain with a bogus one in two spots. Shouldn't make a difference, but I know the IT Admin surfs AO....don't want to get into trouble. :-)
    www.ADigitalPimp.com

exactly what i got SonofGalen! i'll keep investigating and if i progress i let u know. thanx a lot for your help!

consoleknight.

It would seem that proxies have nothing to do with it...
    www.ADigitalPimp.com