Thread: ssh, apache, and ftp

ssh, apache, and ftp

i am setuping a ssh ftp and webserver locally on cable connection, i have my linksys router setup for port fowarding, the ssh and ftp are on one box, and the apache server on the other, both are freebsd 4.9 . how do i get them to listen on diff ports and foward them and so on cause my isp blocks incoming on all of them. and any ideas on securing any of them or links would be helpful. any help would be awesome.

Elite Hacker
    There should be something in all their config files, I know that you can change the listening port in apache. Just open up all the config files and look do a search withing them for 22 in ssh, and 21 in ftp, and 80 in the httpd.conf and see what it says around it. If it says something about listening on that port you should just be able to change the number to some other port number and restart the service and change your port forwarding accordingly and there you have it.

I would imagine if your ISP blocks incoming connections on these ports that there is a section in your contract with them prohibiting you from doing this. You could easily get banned from your ISP for doing this. I would recommend you check your contract with them to make sure that you're allowed operate your own servers.

Assuming you are allowed, to make Apache 2 (I'm not sure about 1.3) listen on a given port, you add the directive "listen <port-number> to the server configuration file.

As for ssh and ftp, you need to provde more information, like which specific programs and versions you are running.

I do not know how to forward ports on a linksys router, but I imagine the user's manual would be helpful there.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

man sshd, man ssh, man ftp , /etc/ssh , /usr/local/share/doc/??? or something like that.
    Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.
    The international ban against torturing prisoners of war does not necessarily apply to suspects detained in America\'s war on terror, Attorney General John Ashcroft told a Senate oversight committee
    -- true colors revealed, a brown shirt and jackboots

Just Another Geek
    For sshd edit /etc/ssh/sshd_config and change the Port. For apache2 you'll need to edit /usr/local/etc/apache2/httpd.conf.
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Re: ssh, apache, and ftp

Originally posted here by incideagent
    i am setuping a ssh ftp and webserver locally on cable connection, i have my linksys router setup for port fowarding, the ssh and ftp are on one box, and the apache server on the other, both are freebsd 4.9 . how do i get them to listen on diff ports and foward them and so on cause my isp blocks incoming on all of them. and any ideas on securing any of them or links would be helpful. any help would be awesome.
    One note. Most cable connection providers have a NO Server section of their "Terms of Use." You should check this out so that you dont just get dumped one day when they find out you are running a server. If you are looking to route a domain name to your server check these guys out. http://www.dyndns.org/
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

/nod

You can edit the .conf files and probably get it all working with little trouble. However, as noted, your ISP will figure out that you are running a server and chances are they will not be happy about it.

Best to ask them first and be clear on the policy.

.: Aftiel